P20/1.7 - loose filter ring

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jair, Jul 16, 2012.

1. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    After few months I managed to save some money for a used p20/1.7. I bought it in person and when I inspected it everything looked perfect - clear glass, no scratches, etc.

Now I see that the the filter ring is somewhat loose and is flapping when I push it with my finger. This thing:

Has anyone else expirienced something like it? How alarmed should I be? I could try to superglue it or something, but I am definitely worried it will do more bad then good. IQ-wise the lens seem perfect.
  2. squareflips

squareflips Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    The Land of Smiles
    I hope you didn't super glued it. Its normal that its "loose" as that whole part of the lens needs to move out and in for focusing. Try focusing at various distance and you can see and even hear it in action. By the way, mine is only a few weeks old.
  3. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    You should not be alarmed at all...

That's NOT just the filter ring, it's a moving part of the lens! Moves together with some lens elements to focus, as squareflips mentioned.

You'll see that when you power off the camera the "focus ring" retracts a little, and it comes back out very slightly when you power it on.

If you do super-glue it, don't expect it to function correctly! :eek:

Best of luck!
  4. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    Of course I didn't superglue it, I just mentioned it as a stupid idea I had in my head. Won't do it without expert advice :)

Thanks, I guess I was worried, because on the kit zoom and the 14mm I used to own the focusing doesnt involve that much movement, if any.
  5. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    :D I know, you mentioned superglue, so we had to go with it. :biggrin:
  6. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    The 14mm has internal focusing mechanism, so it is solid, if you any movement with that lens, you'll have a right to be worried.