1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

P20/1.7 AF noise -- Does this copy have an issue?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WT21, Dec 1, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Hi P20 owners.

It's been a while since I've had a Panasonic 20mm lens. I had one for about 2 1/2 years, but haven't had one for the last maybe 6 months or more.

I decided to get a used one, and recently got it in the mail, but it sounds odd to me. The seller has agreed to take it back on return, which I greatly appreciate, but before wasting anyone's time, and in case the lens is OK and I'm remembering it incorrectly, I wanted to see what others thought. Is this what other folks P20 sounds like when auto-focusing? I don't remember it sounding quite like this, but maybe my memory is just faulty. It also noticeably vibrates when focusing.

Any input is appreciated.

video of focusing: https://vimeo.com/54694366 (focusing is on a white ceiling, so it's not catching focus. It's not the focus lock I'm questioning, it's the sound and vibration)

2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Yes, it should sound smoother than that.
    Yours has a slight vibration/wobbly sound as it zooms in and out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Yes - sounds a bit rougher than mine, the volume is about the same but yours is more of a rasping sound, almost like there's sand or something in there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    I think you have a normal copy of the lens.

Yes it is not silent when focusing.
    I'd imagine, when I play this video on my speakers it sounds much more louder than in real life. Apart from loudness issue, I had the same sound since the day I bought P20 in store.

Yes front element does move and produces mild vibrations.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The audio is actually pretty accurate, if not just a touch quiet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    WT21: what did you use to record the video?
    I can take recording of mine, the pitch is slightly higher and smoother (more even).

7. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just an rx100

8. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  9. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks Leo! That's a huge help. That's how I remember my two or three prior 20mm lenses sounding - like in your video.

10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Anyone know when the all new silent focus 20mm 1.7 is due out?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.