P14-140mm Lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by slothead, Aug 29, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Can someone offer me a realistic reason why the 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 is only $20 cheaper than the 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 lens? I understand it is lighter and slightly smaller, but if it isn't any better, why is it being introduced at all? If the latter (f/3.5) was significantly better optically (which no one to my knowledge has demonstrated), I could understand a more significant price difference. As it is, I don't understand why (1) they are both on the market, and (2) only $20 different in price. Please enlighten me.
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The older lens (f/4.0) has been discontinued, but there are still many of them in the pipeline. The newer lens is smaller, much ighter, uses a smaller filter, and based on some preliminary reviews appears to be a bit sharper and more contrasty.

Why the new one? Size and weight are big part (perhaps the major part) of m43's attraction, so any time you can make the product smaller and lighter without compromising quality that's a win. Why only a $20 price difference? The new lens may actually be less expensive to produce, since it probably mechanically and optically simpler.

The trade-off, I suspect, for the smaller lens is that it relies more on digital correction and less on optical, and probably has higher native distortion, and maybe CA, compared to the old one. And I suspect, given the smaller diameter, that it vignettes more and relies on digital correction to compensate.
  3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Is there a difference in video capability? The original had a silent motor, IIRC; maybe the new one doesn't? - I haven't checked.
  4. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    The new one has the same "vario" designation that Panasonic uses to indicate video optimized lenses, and the specs indicate "stepping motor for smooth quiet focus".
  5. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    OLD 14-140

I never saw myself as a superzoom shooter, and generally prefer (and own) faster lenses. But I recently purchased an excellent condition (mint?) used copy of the original P14-140 from a forum member, delivered to me for about half the cost of a new one.

For $700 I didn't ever see myself buying one (though maybe my opinion of superzooms is changing). However, the used price seemed low enough to try one, and if I didn't like it, I could resell. My brief, initial use last week seems positive, and the versatility when wanting to carry only one or few lenses seems clear. :thumbup:
  6. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    The 14-140 (like any other lens) isn't ideal for all uses, but it's a great travel / vacation lens. My last vacation I that and a 7-14 covered every outdoor shot I wanted. Add a 20mm for low light, and you've got a remarkably versatile and lightweight kit.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S3. Please forgive any typos or auto-correct errors.
  7. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Agreed! :)
  8. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    I think they are coming in stock in North America now. Someone else reported B&H shipped his and Henrys.com now shows expected shipment in 4-6 days.
    I'll be getting one at the end of September.
  9. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    The difference that immediately stands out to me is the original weighs a bit over a pound 460 g (1.01 lb), and the new one weighs nearly half as much.265 g (0.58 lb)
  10. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Yep, the fist gen. 14-140 lens is relatively large and heavy for a m4/3 lens.
  11. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    No idea why, look at 14-42mm and 14-45mm and 45-200mm, they are still in production
  12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks for the inputs guys