P14-140 / 14-42 Comparison

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by shoehopper, Sep 8, 2012.

1. shoehopper

shoehopper New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2012
    Considering picking up the Panny 14-140 and wondering about the size since many say it's large and heavy for a m4/3 lens. I like the range for a casual all purpose lens.

I have the 14-42 kit lens, would someone who owns both post a couple side-by-side so I can get an idea of the size? Did a lot of searching and couldn't find anything.

It would be much appreciated!! Thanks
  2. Porky4

Porky4 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Staffordshire, UK
    I've got the 14-45 and 14-140. There is a difference in size and weight, but not a huge one and is more than outweighed by the flexibility of the 14-140. I don't know whether my copy of the 14-140 is atypical, but it gets a little soft over 100mm, but still very usable. In my view it is almost the equal of the 14-45 over that range and, I believe, the 14-42 is inferior to the 14-45.

I'll try to get some side by side comparison photos for you, if I can.

Paul :cool:
  3. mgr

mgr Mu-43 Regular

the difference in weight is huge.
    with the 14-140 the m4/3 advantage of small and lightweight is gone !
    the sharpness performance is only average compared to the price.
    I would not recommend the 14-140 as a all day long walk arround.

rgds Manfred
  4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Whether to get a 14 - 140 should depend IMO on what body you are going to put it on
    I would recommend it wholeheartedly if you have a G1,G2, G3, G5, GH1/2 but would not personally recommend it on a GX1, GF2 and certainly not on a GF3
    I love this lens but do find it a bit on the big and bulky side
    It is much better on the G5 I now have due to the grip
    The focal range is very useful and convenient for a walk around and it is is a superb lens for family video
    It is far heavier and bulkier than the 14 - 42 / 14 - 45
  5. jar

jar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Consider the Oly 14-150. It's a bit more than half the weight of the 14-140. The IQ between the two is very close. Yes, you give up IS on Panasonic cameras, but for me that was worth it to get the size/weight down and get a refurb for $330 from Cameta. I already had a 45-200 for when I need IS and long range.
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    It's all personal opinion, I guess. I use the 14-140 on the GX1 all the time and the size and weight don't bother me. Yes, it's larger and heavier, but it's a 10x zoom instead of a 3.2x zoom lens - not unreasonable to expect it to be somewhat larger. If you're one of the people that feels like m4/3 cameras need to be tiny and weightless, the 14-140 will probably feel too big to you. If on the other hand you're ok with it being lightER and smallER than an equivalent DSLR system, then it's a great lens that works really well :smile:

Unfortunately I don't have a 14-42 or I'd post a size comparison photo for you. I'm sure I've seen one posted here on the forums but can't recall where offhand.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    The 14-140 is on my g3 all day and it is the perfect lens for me and the type of photography I do. I also carry a epl1 with a 20mm but I use mostly the g3.
    Not too big at all. I love it.
  8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I like it on the G5 and GH2; the G3, not so much, because of the camera's undersized (for me) grip. Great lens, though!
  9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Here you go:

Sorry, I was too lazy to turn the hoods around.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Forgot to give my opinion.

The 14-140mm is a natural match for the GH2 (now GH3), and I would guess the G5, too. It is usable on the GX1 and G3, but the left hand (under the lens) takes most of the weight, as the grips are a little too small to really counterbalance the lens' weight.

I actually have my 14-140mm on my GF1 w/ the Asashi grip, which is actually better (for me anyway) than the GH2's grip. I'm guessing the optional E-M5 grip, as well as the G5 and GH3 grips would be best.
  11. shoehopper

shoehopper New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to try to swing by Kenmore Camera sometime this week and see if they have a demo unit I can try out before pulling the trigger. I'll be using it with a GX1 which many say will be a little small, but that seems like it will be the case regardless of which telephoto I go with, and I want something with some reach for all the scenery up here in the Pacific Northwest :biggrin: and I'm not planning on buying another body anytime soon.

Samy's has a $200 instant rebate going making it $479 with free shipping and no tax (for me), which is the best price I've seen. I'm going to wait until tomorrow's Panny announcement to see if they've got anything else brewing.. the 35-100 looks great but I'm imagining it will be well out of my price range (but how great would a kit with a 12-35, 35-100 and a couple of primes be??).

Thanks again.
  12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I have both, and the 14-140 is a lot heavier. OTOH, it's probably not much heavier, and likely smaller, than the 14-42 and 45-150 combined, and covers that range without having to change lenses all the time. It's also got excellent IQ; I think it's sharper than the 14-42. I've seen published tests that show it on par with the much loved 14-45.

For me, as a walk-around lens, it's an excellent choice.

But you need to decide what you want. Does the 14-42 lens give you the shots you want, or do you feel you're missing shots because you need something longer? If you don't need more range for what you like to shoot, stick with the lighter weight lens. If you can't shoot what you want because you need more range, then you need to decide whether a second lens makes more sense than the 14-140, for you.