P12-32 versus P12-60 at shorter focal lengths

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Anyone own both and care to tell me which is better over that shared focal length? I have the 12-32 and am never quite sure I cannot find a better lens for those focal lengths below 32mm. The 12-32 is sharp, and compact, but there are some features of it that I do not like much, such as the difficult work-around for manual focusing, the not so short minimum focusing, and the (to me) annoying twist-to-operate feature. I am also never sure how the photo is going to turn out. Try as best as I can, I never get consistent results out of it. Sometime I'm really happy with the shot, but often it's a 'meh' response. I don't think the lens has much micro contrast, for example, and I'm always doing something to the image to try and improve it. It's probably me more than the lens, I know.....sigh

So here's the situation: I have the 45-175 for the longer focal lengths in the EDC bag by the door (plus the 30mm 2.8 which I always carry), but still want a lens for the wider views. As well as the P12-60 I've also been considering the P15, the original PL12-35 f2.8, and also the Sigma 16. I'll have to sell some lenses to cover the cost of the newcomer, and it looks like the 12-32, the Sigma 60 (the Tennis Champ is on the road a lot now and I do not get a chance to see much of her tennis any more) and the original P14-140 will have to go. I will have some funds to cover any additional costs, and I'll keep the P42.5.

So, bearing all that in mind, what should I be looking at? Any other suggestions? The lens will mostly be used on my GX8 as the G6 delivers the goods quite happily with the 45-175 attached. Any opinions, ideas, suggestions and arguments all welcome :)

Last edited:

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
It's you, not the lens. Unless you splurge for the f2.8 lenses or the PL12-60 I don't think there will be a big jump, and even then probably not the biggest of differences. Maybe I don't pixel peep enough, but I never felt that my wife's 12-32 is softer than my own 8-18 where they overlap.

Real Name
Butch Oakey
Anyone own both and care to tell me which is better over that shared focal length? I have the 12-32 and am never quite sure I cannot find a better lens for those focal lengths below 32mm. The 12-32 is sharp, and compact, but there are some features of it that I do not like much, such as the difficult work-around for manual focusing, the not so short minimum focusing, and the (to me) annoying twist-to-operate feature. I am also never sure how the photo is going to turn out. Try as best as I can, I never get consistent results out of it. Sometime I'm really happy with the shot, but often it's a 'meh' response. I don't think the lens has much micro contrast, for example, and I'm always doing something to the image to try and improve it. It's probably me more than the lens, I know.....sigh

So here's the situation: I have the 45-175 for the longer focal lengths in the EDC bag by the door (plus the 30mm 2.8 which I always carry), but still want a lens for the wider views. As well as the P12-60 I've also been considering the P15, the original PL12-35 f2.8, and also the Sigma 16. I'll have to sell some lenses to cover the cost of the newcomer, and it looks like the 12-32, the Sigma 60 (the Tennis Champ is on the road a lot now and I do not get a chance to see much of her tennis any more) and the original P14-140 will have to go. I will have some funds to cover any additional costs, and I'll keep the P42.5.

So, bearing all that in mind, what should I be looking at? Any other suggestions? The lens will mostly be used on my GX8 as the G6 delivers the goods quite happily with the 45-175 attached. Any opinions, ideas, suggestions and arguments all welcome :)
I have both lenses and have never noticed any difference in the pictures. Think you will like the P12-60 if you need the extra range but the 12-32 sure is handy even with it's limitations.

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
I had both as well as the 15 and 12-35/2.8. I’m not a pixel peeper but, if anything, both of my 12-32’s were sharper than my 12-60 at any fl. The 12-60 was sold. My remaining 12-32 is sharp, renders fine and is an indispensable lens when compact is a criteria. I don’t remember a shot that was weak on account of the 12-32.

However, if you don’t like a lens, for whatever reason, sell it.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
Well, this has been very helpful so far. It looks like I'm going to have to learn how best to use the 12-32 I have, which I know is sharp on occasion, so the lens is fine. I just probably do not use it enough as I'm not confident in it, and need to change my ways. Thanks to all who have replied so far.

I'll still probably make the P15 my next purchase in the New Year some time, anyway - I have been lusting after one for a while. I love my P42.5 and can only imagine what a fast WA lens will do to my interior and lowlight shots.

Real Name
Paul
My (early model) 12-32mm is one of my most used lenses. I have concerns about it’s build quality, lack of manual focus (on my Olympus camera) and poor close focus. But not about it’s sharpness or image quality. I’ve bought two 12-35 mm lenses and while much more confident about robustness, manual focus and liked having f2.8 available, didn’t see any improvement in image quality or close focus distance. Now, when hiking, I often carry just 12-32 and 42.5/1.7 (for lens speed and flower close-ups).

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
If you can get past the lack of a manual focus ring, the 12-32 is a great little lens. What it may lack in features it makes up for in portability. I usually go out with my 75-300 attached, but the 12-32 can easily slip into a pocket, so it can always be along for the ride. I will probably always keep mine, even if I get another lens that covers the same range. I like the results mine provides, so maybe there Is some sample variation?

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I have both lenses and prefer the 12-60. I don't say that unequivocally, though. In my own case, both lenses produce great images at all focal lengths. The 12-60 tends to be sharper all the way to the corners, especially at 12mm. It helps if I stop it down to f/5.6-f/8 throughout the range. But the 12-32 is very consistent across focal lengths and apertures: I only have to stop it down to 5.6-6.3 for its maximum sharpness.

I find that I have to place the focus point correctly for both lenses. My 12-32 can have very soft edges (particularly the right edge) if I put the focus point too close to the central foreground. It seems to be field curvature as well as some mild decentering that seem common in this lens. With my 12-60, I find I must focus on the deepest part of the scene that I want in sharp focus; that gets the foreground also in focus. Doing this isn't hard; in fact, it makes shooting quite straightforward. I just have to be careful once in a while.

Macroramphosis

Real Name
Roddy
I like the results mine provides, so maybe there Is some sample variation?
From what I have read (and indeed, someone has alluded to it above), there can be sample variation. But if you only have one copy, I'm assuming it is hard to decide whether your's is poor or good :)

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
The 12-32, 15f1.7, and 45-175 are perfect for most of my shooting needs when I want small and light. If I wish to carry just 1 lens, it would be my excellent P12-60. Everyone needs the Leica 15f1.7 IMHO.
Didn’t you just sell yours?

but I do agree - color and contrast on the pl15 will be well above the p12-32.

I think the 12-32 is slightly bested by the p12-60 which itself is slightly best by the pl12-60, but with each better output coming at a cost and weight price

ps - moved to “this or that” forum

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom