1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

P12-32 mini zoom on Oly E-PM1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nuclearboy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Has anyone used this combination. I cannot get a clear photo to save my life. I am assuming I am in shutter shock hell with this combination. I put on the 20mm to compare and it seems decent. I put on the 25mm to compare and it seems decent. I tried IBIS on IBIS off and I am constantly using the 1/8s shutter shock.

I then tried the lens on my E-P5 and it seems to work OK. My E-P5 has all the latest firmware including the new shutter shock "fix".

My E-PM1 has been updated to the latest firmware too.

I am just wondering if anyone else has tried this combination and whether or not they have had trouble.

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I use this lens on E-M10, I tried it on E-PM2 with severe shutter shock below 1/500. The lens is super sharp on E-M10 with 0s anti-shock

• Like Like x 1
  3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    The 20 and the 25 might be using faster shutter speeds because of the faster aperture.

The 1/8s isn't to stop shutter shock, it's to stop camera shake from you pressing the button.

The EP5 is heavier. The firmware "fix" might be regarding its use of electronic first curtain. Both of those things can reduce shutter shock. "Os" on EM10 is the same thing

I have the 12-32 and used to use it on my PM2. I got incredibly sharp photos (but not always).

Workaround: go into the menus and set up LENS PRIORITY IS. The IBIS on the PM1 is no good so use the IBIS on the lens. Or, when you're in camera priority IS of course, try vertical-only IS. I heard it works a bit better. Both of these, however, probably will not solve shutter shock.

Finally, you should crank the ISO outside and take a 1/4000 sec photo of something with high contrast at around 20mm to see see if the lens and the PM1 can actually produce good results to make sure that there isn't a defect that happens only sometimes.*

*I had a faulty shutter on my PM2. It would bounce back up and over expose the botton 100 pixels. It only did it 10% of the time but that was enough to suck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I shot the 20 and 25 at the same f-stop. I wanted to confirm the camera body was capable of a good photo and it is.

I did use the 0s anti-shock on the E-P5.

The lens is OK on my E-P5 and the E-PM1 seems OK with other lenses.

The combination of the two (at least my two) does not seem to produce good photos. I have not tried all combinations (like very high shutter speed) but the limitations are bad enough that this combination is not feasible for me.

I just ordered an E-PM2 for my second "small" body. I will try it with the 12-32 when it arrives. It that combination does not work, I guess the Pen Minis will be stuck using my small primes (I don't have the original kit lens) and the 12-32 will get some occasional use on the E-P5 or be up for sale.

5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I have used the combination and was very fond of it - until the lens broke (I think that was by my own fault - the lens took a hit when I took a fall once ...).

Small, very fast (as soon as the lens is extend), sharp and contrasty images. I actually liked the combo better than the GM1 with kit lens I compared it to before buying the lens only. The GM1 is the more modern camera, but the lens makes a great performing, very compact combo with the E-PM1.

That said, I hardly ever use IBIS on the E-PM1 - I had mixed results with it and now prefer the classic approach. With the 12-32mm, that wasn't an issue - ever.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I don't think the E-PL1 has the option to set lens priority. However, you can turn IBIS off completely. Certainly on my E-M5, if I turn IBIS off, I can see that the 12-32's OIS starts to work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    For the record. I tried the camera with IS off and found similar results (blurred, double exposed edges). It looks to me like shutter shock affects this particular combination whether IS is on or off.

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Shutter shock is the bane of the Pen cameras of this generation, esp with small zoom lenses. The Pany 14-42 PZ was a terrible offender too.

9. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I am at least thankful that it appears Olympus has fixed this issue with the E-P5.