P&S superzoom to compliment OMD EM-1MKiii

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I can only speak To the Sony RX100.

I can probably swap a lens quicker than the time it takes to long press the tiny on/off button, wait for the lens to extend, pull out the evf, zoom and capture. And if you just handed it to a family member, remember to set iA back to Aperture Preferred.

As long as you’re willing to wait until the bear cub grows up, I’m not sure any camera with a retractable power superzoom is going to be ready in time to shoot - in a calm and methodical manner.
I wonder if you know what you are talking about. i very much doubt it. The more expensive superzooms from Panasonic and Sony are don't conform to any of those things you claim superzooms to be. By the time you changed your lens those cameras would have already captured the image.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use to do same as TS, but with a normal zoom P&S. On the m43-camera I have a tele zoom lens for those amazing shots I am primarily looking for. Then sometimes occasionally something pops up that requires a quick shot with normal focal length. Then I just grab my P&S in the pocket (it is a small one) and it is great to have for these moments where a lens swap is a hassle (and when I was too lazy to bring two bodies :) )

Ig7

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if you know what you are talking about. i very much doubt it. The more expensive superzooms from Panasonic and Sony are don't conform to any of those things you claim superzooms to be. By the time you changed your lens those cameras would have already captured the image.
Looks like capping the cost at about a $1000 limits me to the slow zoom options

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Looks like capping the cost at about a $1000 limits me to the slow zoom options
I have to disagree. None of the Panasonic superzooms costs more than that amount. And a couple of the Sony ones also fall within your budget.
Post the same question on DPReview where a lot of superzoom owners hand around. Many of them also have a interchangeable lens system as well.

Ig7

Mu-43 Veteran
Appreciate everyone’s input. Will check out those cameras. Was hoping someone else already went through the pain of deciding

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Appreciate everyone’s input. Will check out those cameras. Was hoping someone else already went through the pain of deciding
I did, and my advice is based accordingly. I own five m43 cameras and four superzooms...

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think that a few years ago this was a tougher question. Now you have small sensor super-zooms from Nikon, Panny, Sony and Canon, at least, that are all in the same ballpark, imo. Then you have larger sensor options from Canon, Panny and Sony. If you want 600mm the Panny FZ1000 is out. If you're OK with used the Sony RX10-3 is good, otherwise you bump up against $1k. Canon has no VF, but if you buy used you can also get the optional EVF and stay in budget.

I think it's RX10-3 or G3X on the used market [B&H and KEH have them - you don't have to go to eBay], if you're locked in on a superzoom. But I'd really think about an E-M1 with 75-300 semi-permanently mounted. The good news is that there is no wrong answer here. What do you prefer?

Ig7

Mu-43 Veteran
Demiro, good question. I already know what 75-300 can do. I had two of them over the years. So, i am leaning towards getting a used Sony (did some googling and it looks good) or a Panasonic maybe, to see how i like it.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Demiro, good question. I already know what 75-300 can do. I had two of them over the years. So, i am leaning towards getting a used Sony (did some googling and it looks good) or a Panasonic maybe, to see how i like it.
I had the original FZ1000 and used the RX10-2. Panny was certainly a good camera, but I thought the Sony was a bit better. It really becomes a question of a specific feature or two that makes a difference to you, or maybe the ergonomics. The FZ1000 ultimately failed for me because it was only 400mm. I ended up with a 14-150 mkII and a lower-end Panny FZ300 superzoom that reaches 600mm. Still have that one.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There's a RX10-IV over on Fred Miranda that looks nice. $1100, but maybe you can negotiate. :) Extra batts; 2 yrs of warranty, 128GB card. I do not know the seller. Just watching the World Series and kind of bored...

RX10-IV

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
Yep, you could be right. I started with RX100 only and ended with superzooms in general.

Real Name
Roddy
Looking back at these answers I think a EM1 with the 75-300 permanently mounted on it is actually the best answer. You'll have two m4/3 bodies to play with, decent image quality compared to a bridge camera, and you're used to the system and what it can do. It is very similar to what I have done recently, which is stick the P45-175 on the wife's G6 (she hasn't noticed and probably won't anyway) and have the GX8 use the other lenses I own. Same batteries, same OS, and all good. If I upgrade to the 100-300 I'd probably continue to do the same,

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have a G9 and 100-400 which is my primary shooter (also have 10 other m43 bodies and many lenses), but for those times when I’m not carrying the long glass or travelling, I have a FZ1000 and FZ2500 and had a FZ200 which I gave to my sister. All 3 are reasonably capable, approximately 1 sec startup times. The FZ2500 has built in ND’s and can shoot about 35 RAW images continuous.

Ig7

Mu-43 Veteran
Planning on going to the local camera store to try out the cameras to see how they feel in my hand
Thanks for all recommendations

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
At 1000€ I really don't see why you don't just buy a second mu43 body that just has a long zoom on it. Em1mkIIs currently can be had for less than 1000€/$ I believe.

Ig7

Mu-43 Veteran
So here is the sad saga of rush decisions that lead me to this post. I sold my 75-300 in anticipation of getting new 100-300. When I got the lens and tried it out i found it too heavy to hand hold. My 12-100 never leaves the mkiii and i was trying to get the zoom for those times I need it for quick shot with extra reach. Then, my next plan was to get 40-150 and mc-20 to compensate for reach. I put it on my mkii, that i had at the time, but still too heavy to hand handle for me. Got really mad and in a rush decision sold my mkii and 40-150 planning to replace it with a p&s
superzoom. Was googling a bit then decided to ask here. Appreciate advice and will check out some of those cameras in a local store next week.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So here is the sad saga of rush decisions that lead me to this post. I sold my 75-300 in anticipation of getting new 100-300. When I got the lens and tried it out i found it too heavy to hand hold. My 12-100 never leaves the mkiii and i was trying to get the zoom for those times I need it for quick shot with extra reach. Then, my next plan was to get 40-150 and mc-20 to compensate for reach. I put it on my mkii, that i had at the time, but still too heavy to hand handle for me. Got really mad and in a rush decision sold my mkii and 40-150 planning to replace it with a p&s
superzoom. Was googling a bit then decided to ask here. Appreciate advice and will check out some of those cameras in a local store next week.
That happens, to me at least. :) Don't beat yourself up about it. It's one of the reasons I started buying mostly used stuff years ago, to avoid the hit when I inevitably thought up some different option that would be better, more convenient, etc.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Regular
I will second the comment about the Canon SX50. It is better than the 60 and 70, all of which I had.

My non-43 camera is a Sony RX100 VII. It's very good and a lot of fun to take along when I'm traveling and need to save space (and photography is not my priority). I've gone Sony rather than Panasonic's P&S. I've had a few of those TZ models and wasn't happy.

I would suggest a 2nd m43 body.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom