P&S superzoom to compliment OMD EM-1MKiii

Ig7

Mu-43 Veteran
I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a reasonably prices point and shoot superzoom for backyard wild life to supplement my m4/3 setup. I have 12-100 and 40-150 lenses but sometimes there is no time to swap lenses or explain to my family members what button to press. I was thinking that getting a point and shoot camera with good zoom might be a good thing to have around when a bear cub crosses the lawn.
Of course don't expect the same image quality. Mostly just to share with others.

Ig7

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Would like to keep it under a $1000. Dont plan to do bif and not looking to print the images. I keep 12-100 on my camera most of the time so by the time I swap the lens to longer zoom, the “target” is long gone 😢 Noone else in my family knows how to use my omd so having a p&s lying around would be handy.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve

Ig7

Mu-43 Veteran
Not sure if WR is important. This is more for capturing “oh my god look at this” images. Had foxes in my backyard again this year and we have a lot more bear sightings. And no, I am not in the middle of the wilderness, only about 30 miles from NYC.
Replaced the 75-300 with 40-150 and mc-20 for better quality and finding that i miss a lot of these types of shots due to size and weight when tripod is not an option.
4BDB82CA-34A3-4013-BB03-CBA74F3D072C.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
1CA1A7BE-EC32-4FF1-8FFF-1D03FF7A4051.jpeg
EACBAE90-2021-42D9-93E4-41A20F737A51.jpeg

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sony RX10 iv is the best there is in the point and shoot long zoom segment and it takes excellent video but it is $1,600.

Real Name
Roddy
Canon SX50 then, if you want a friendly camera that will deliver the goods without breaking the bank. The SX50 is much more favoured than the longer (but newer) SX60 and SX70, and can be found for relatively little money on eBay; you can get a very good copy for under $200, easily. It'll work well if you're not doing BIF. Easy to use and good for A4 sized prints. One of the group Flickr pages is here, if you want a look. Most of the guys who do BIF without full-frame gear or the Sony mk4's use an SX 50. Many tried the 60 and 70 but by all accounts the 50 is a better camera. As an added bonus the SX series work well with a Raynox for macro, too.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you want something that is compatible with your Olympus in terms of color tonality and menu structure, consider looking for a used Olympus Stylus-1. It has an equivalent 28-300mm range (same range as the 14-150mm Olympus lens). The Stylus-1 has a f/2.8 constant lens, but the camera when it is turned off fits in a jacket pocket. It uses the BLS-5/50 battery used by most of the Pens and E-m10 cameras. It was introduced in 2014, but after a year or so, it was discontinued.

If you want weather sealing, I have a Panasonic FZ300 (25-600mm equivalent lens). It is fairly big (my E-m5 mark I + 14-150mm combo was about the same size). I have shot with it in wet weather. It is similar to my other Panasonic cameras (G85, LX10) in that you need to dial in exposure compensation to avoid burning out the highlights and the high ISO JPG noise handling goes to watercolor mode more quickly than Olympus cameras do.

My preferred solution has been to go with the Olympus superzoom lenses (first 14-150mm mark I, then 14-150mm mark II, and now 12-200mm). I pair it with my f/2.8 zooms (Olympus 12-40mm and Panasonic 35-100mm mark I), using the f/2.8 zooms in lower light situations, and the superzooms in better light when I prefer not to switch lenses. Since I keep the old bodies as I upgrade, I often go with two bodies, one with the 12-40mm and the other with the current superzoom.

With the 14-150mm mark II, I have shot in a number of wet environments, including taking it on the boat ride at Niagara Falls where you get drenched for about 10 minutes. Since I got the 12-200mm, I haven't done much shooting due to covid.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
The FZ1000 II is a fantastic bang for bucks camera. I had the FZ1000 and bought the FZ1000 II to see how they compare. No question about it that the new one is batter in terms of features and ease of use. The FZ1000 is now with my daughter.
Mind you if you are really on a budget and want to go even longer on the zoom and do not mind giving up picture quality when it gets darker then have a look at the Panasonic FZ80/82 as well. Loads of moonshots by me and others on this forum, and loads of threads with pictures on the DPReview website.

Ig7

Mu-43 Veteran
Thank you. Will check that one out too.
I was considering a second m4/3 body originally but my issue is also that 40-150 with mc-20 is big and heavy for me to quickly grab a shot. Love it on tripod but not having much luck hand held. Looking to get a decent pic quality but not expecting to match pro lenses in any way.

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
sometimes there is no time to swap lenses or explain to my family members what button to push

I was thinking that getting a point and shoot camera with good zoom might be a good thing to have around when a bear cub crosses the lawn.

Of course don't expect the same image quality. Mostly just to share with others.
I can only speak To the Sony RX100.

I can probably swap a lens quicker than the time it takes to long press the tiny on/off button, wait for the lens to extend, pull out the evf, zoom and capture. And if you just handed it to a family member, remember to set iA back to Aperture Preferred.

As long as you’re willing to wait until the bear cub grows up, I’m not sure any camera with a retractable power superzoom is going to be ready in time to shoot - in a calm and methodical manner.

Ig7

Mu-43 Veteran
threeOh, you made me laugh🤣
Having seller remorse here about selling both my EM1 ii and 75-300 😢 and thinking I will just grab a p&s
I forget how spoiled we get with its performance.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
threeOh, you made me laugh🤣
Having seller remorse here about selling both my EM1 ii and 75-300 😢 and thinking I will just grab a p&s
I forget how spoiled we get with its performance.
That was similar to my idea.
Get an EM10 + 75-300, and leave it mated together for those LONG shots.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom