1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

P mode on the G3-

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Uwharrie, May 23, 2012.

1. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Can someone explain how and why to use P when shooting with a G3?
    One thing I noticed is AF does not work with the camera set in P.
    I usually shoot in A with my Canon DSLR but I also use fast lens so don't have to worry so much about shutter speed. Right now I am finding the operation of the G3 not to be anywhere near as intuitive as the DSLRs I am use to. So have wanted to use the dummy setting (auto) till I get the hang of the new system I just can figure out how to set it.

2. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Auto focus should work in 'P' mode. Maybe you have the camera set to manual focus, in iAuto it would override that and turn the auto focus on if I'm not mistaken.

3. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Checked again. Auto focus is set to on. Now it appears it will not focus on P, A or S

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    What lens are you using?

5. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Regarding the focusing mode, are you using single-area focusing, or multi-area? That's the left-arrow key when you're out of the menus. If you're in AF it'll show 5 modes (face detection, tracking, etc), make sure you have something basic, like single focus area (4th). In MF mode it'll zoom in on the focus area when you press that left arrow key.

Program (P) is just the same as P on Canon DSLRs, it gives you SS/Aperture pair and when you rotate the wheel it will move one up and the other down (close aperture, slower SS) or reverse. P won't help much compared to A mode at a wide aperture.

1. Try iAuto to get the hang of what settings the camera does on its own. You'll see it'll probably push the ISO up in situations where your SS in A is too slow, which brings me to the second point.

2. If you've got the ISO set manually, set it to Auto ISO, then you'll have more flexibility in A. For this setting you'll probably want to also check the Menu option "ISO Limit SET". 800 is no problem at all, 1600 is very good as well.

Once you get used to where all the settings are there won't be much difference to the DSLR. Set the On my GX1 I find most settings I need to change are just as easy to get to as on my Canon DSLR. But the AF part is strange.

6. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Not sure what is going on. But seems to have started when I put my just acquired Olympus 40-150 on. But it is also doing the same thing with the 14-42 kit.
    I have AF set on AFS . The AF now refuses to work at any setting except iA.

7. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Ok, so AF technically works if it works in iA, you just have to troubleshoot what mode it is in.

What focusing area do you have when you press the < key (focus areas)?

8. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Ok just went to the custom menu and found shutter focus, direct focus, focus priority and AF+MF all off. Switched them on and now it seems to be working
    What the heck does all that mean?

9. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Shutter focus - regular focusing on shutter half press, you want it on!
    Direct focus - whether arrow presses move the focus area directly. You probably want this off so you can have access to the other functions on those keys.
    Focus priority - whether the camera will take an photo even without focus lock. Useful only if you're missing shots in fast action usually.
    AF+MF - whether manual focusing adjustments can be made while in AF modes. Personal preference.

10. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    So it was the shutter focus being off I guess? What about AF/AE lock and A/F A/E hold?

11. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Yes, it was the shutter focus set to off that caused that behavior.

AF/AE Lock sets whether only the exposure/the focus or both are locked when you press the AF/AE Lock button.
    The AF/AE hold is whether you have to hold the button down to lock or just press once to lock, press again to unlock AF/AE.

I would warmly suggest that you download the G3 PDF user manual (direct PDF link). It's quite easy to search for each of these functions in the pdf manual, the diagrams are easier to understand than we can explain here. For troubleshooting the forum is of course better than the manual. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    I have the manual on my iPad, but was not sure where to look for this problem. I have read thru it several times but obviously I need to read thru it several more times! Who knew such a tiny camera (I usually shoot with a 1D MKII) would be so complex? :)

13. MartinOcando

MartinOcando Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Panama
    Ha, you experienced the same thing I did. Coming from a 60D, I was amazed at the amount of customization, and pretty serious photography oriented features that it has.
    The only thing I really miss is Auto ISO in M mode. But, you can't have everything, I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Once I figure out all the bells and whistles I think I will be in love with this little gem! I know my neck and shoulders will. Now to figure out how to pay for some fast glass. ( which I am sorely missing right now!)