1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

P/L 42.5mm AF problem :-(

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zensu, Feb 12, 2015.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Recently received two wonderful lenses from a dear old friend who, because of his age (97), is having vision problems. The two are the P/L 15mm and the P/L 42.5mm, both fantastic gifts.
    My problem is with the AF on the P/L 42.5mm. When turning on AF (AFS or AFC) the lens always focuses on the most distant object, even though a closer object is within the AF window. This happens on both the GM1 and E-P5 cameras. Even when manually selecting the smallest sized focusing box by touching the rear LCD it will select to focus on the most distant object within that focus box. I've even tried to acquire focus on an object with very clear edges between it (4 feet away) and its background (30 feet away). With both cameras I must manually turn the focus ring several times to get the closer object more in focus before AF will lock on the closer object. If I even take my finger off the half press of the shutter button on either camera the lens will return to focusing on the more distant object when half pressing the shutter button again. I could adjust to assisting AF by turning the manual focus ring but the required number of turns (4 or 5) is taking too much time to be of much help unless the image is of a static object.
    The P/L 15mm has no problem on either camera and snaps into focus instantly on near or far with both cameras.
    I've checked and the lenses and cameras have the latest firmware versions.
    Any experience with this problem? Any possible solutions?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Bobby

2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    This is a problem with the camera, or focusing system more specifically (CDAF) in this case, and not really related to the lens. I have the same issue with various lenses, generally fast primes like the 42.5/1.2 will show this problem most obviously as the DOF can be so thin. The problem is less apparent as a wide angle lens like the 15mm has relatively wide DOF unless you're very close to your subject.

The best way to cope with this problem is to:
    1. Use the smallest AF point
    2. Try to pick a subject that has high contrast to focus on
    3. Try to avoid background elements that have high contrast/a lot of detail
    4. Sometimes you can nudge the AF in the right direction and focus again, you don't necessarily need to focus manually to the point that the focus is perfect

• Like Like x 1
  3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Sorry to take so long updating this post but i have discovered that if you set the AF mode to 23 point AF the little GM1 locks focus lightning fast on objects near or far. This is the mode I will use with this lens from now on. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    If I set the AF to the smallest point I can nudge the AF by focusing on another (clearer) object that's in the frame but closer to the same distance as the object I'm having trouble focusing on and the camera will then re-focus on the object I want. I hope this makes sense.
    Thanks for these tips EarthQuake!
    Bobby