1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

P/L 25mm and flare

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dangermouse1968, May 12, 2012.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    I posted this last weekend .....

https://www.mu-43.com/f56/windmills-flare-25575/

..... and have spent a bit of time since thinking about up-grading to P/L 25mm. However, a reviewer on the Wex site claims you need to use a hood and that it is more prone to flare than the Panny 20mm that I own. Is that true?

2. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I don't know how the 25 will compare against the 20 in flare resistance. I have the 20 and think it does a good job in that area. Lens hoods shield the lens from side / reflected lighting that would otherwise reduce contrast and cause flare. In your example (which is excellent BTW), there is only a single light source (the sun) that is almost directly facing you, I don't think a lens hood will matter in this situation.

My experience has been that wider lenses are more prone to flare so I would expect the 25 to do a bit better, but not much since the focal length is so similar to the 20. Hopefully, one of our peers with both lenses can share their experience.

Lee

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I think you're pretty much correct here.

4. James Pilcher

James Pilcher Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Colorful Colorado
    First off, put a strong light source in the frame and you can coax flare from any lens. (Nice photo, BTW).

Secondly, I use a lens hood on all of my lenses, PL25 included. It's just part of my DNA. It guards against flare from light sources outside the frame and protects the lens from bumps and weather. I even purchased the outrageously expensive hoods for my 12mm, 45mm f/1.8, and 75-300mm. Like I said, it's in my DNA.

Lastly, as one other post suggested, faster lenses are more prone to flare, so using a lens hood on them is even more important than on others. Personally, I've seen absolutely no flare problem with my PL25, and it is the lens I shoot 60% of the time.

I consider the 20mm f/1.7 and 25mm f/1.4 as complementary lenses, not rivals. The 20mm is short and fast. The 25mm is 1/2 stop faster, renders a delicious bokeh, and AF is faster. The 20mm is probably better for grab shots (family, friends, pubs, etc) due to its slightly wider FOV. I'm hoping for a 17.5mm f/1.x or 2.0 from someone soon.