P/L 100-400mm can be pre-ordered from Amazon for $1799

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mcasan, Jan 5, 2016.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Hopefully the usual reviewers have been testing early production versions and we'll start seeing some reviews soon after official announcements. I may never buy one, but the comparisons will be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    $700 is a lot of coin for a speed difference that will amount to likely 1 stop at 300mm (f/4 for the Oly, and likely 5.6 for the PL) and 1/3 stop at 400mm (f/5.6 for the Oly, and 6.3 for the PL).

I don't believe IQ will be an issue for the PL, and it certainly won't be an issue for the Oly. At $1800, the PL 100-400 may be an incredible deal...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, I think $1800 is the right price for this. That's $400 cheaper than the larger, heavier Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6L II, and in all likelihood will give better images mounted on a GH4, E-M5 II, or GX8 when compared to the Canon lens mounted on a 7D II or 5DS for any given field of view. Obviously if you can get close or carry longer glass, we're having a different discussion. But even the Sigma 150-600mm Sports only gets you most of the way there, weighs twice as much, and may or may not be optically comparable.

The main question mark will be how good is the autofocus, which could obviously give the 7D II the advantage there. I think the focus limiter combined with DFD will give the CDAF-only Panasonic bodies a big leg-up compared to previously available lenses, but only time will tell!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting that the link to amazon is dead now. Either they jumped the gun or it had a typo I guess.

How much do people pay to go from the 42.5mm f1.7 to the 42.5mm f1.2?

IS the 100-400 weather sealed?

Wouldn't you expect a f4 prime to be a sharper than a variable zoom?

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The 100-400 is weather sealed, yes. At least according to the B&H Photo link.

I wouldn't plan on buying this if I didn't want to shoot at 400mm, at which point you're only getting 1/3 stop advantage with the 300mm/f4 + 1.4x TC.

I guarantee the Olympus will be a sharper lens - it will likely be the sharpest 300mm lens ever made, and may be the sharpest lens yet in the M4/3 system. But if the 100-400 is significantly sharper than any of the other current telezooms (maybe in-line with the current shorter PRO zooms), then I imagine it will win lots of fans for its flexibility and weight. In many ways it does not compete directly with the Oly 300mm, which is a weird thing to say considering they are both high-end supertelephotos. The people that want either lens know what they want, and are unlikely to be swayed by the competition.

7. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
  8. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Amazing!!! The Price Tag Seems to be a bargain..... Just amazing. And it´s weather sealed... This could be a real Game changer....

9. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Posting here as well.

10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If is that good, at that price..........clear signal to Olympus that their price plan is way off for the 300mm Pro.

11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Would be cool if it worked with the mc-14. Not that you need it, it would just be cool. :)

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I guess you can use 4K mode and get an extra 1.2-1.3x at 8MP on many new Panasonics.

13. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I have had this in mind since the announcement of this lens. Really interested to find out how it performs with video. I will be getting either the 100-400 or the 300 plus 1.4x will decide when the reviews are out and the dust has settled.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    As a hobbyist, the difference in price is huge, I mean HUGE!! Unless there is a compelling reason, the PL will be the one I look at for tele. Of course I could just use my adapter, and attach my Sigma 150-500, and save a LOT of money!

15. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Since the lens is now officially released, and no longer a rumor, lets move the discussions to the Native Lens forum where we can hopefully see reviews, lab tests, and user experiences.

16. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    I tend to agree, especially if the quality is there. I would much rather sacrifice light than versatility. If the lens at 300mm is even almost as good as the Olympus, Olympus will lose customers.