P 12-32 vs P 14-42 II?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkbslc, Jul 11, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

My GX7 came with the 14-42 II kit lens. I've found it to be remarkably good for landscapes, video and the like, but I honestly don't use it much. I have 15/25/45mm primes, so those usually come out first. I don't have anything between the Fisheye and the 14/15mm focal length, though, so I'm thinking maybe I'd trade it for the 12-32 instead. Then I'll have something at 24mm equiv, plus it's still an OIS kit lens for video use.

Reviewer MTF tests seem to indicate the 14-42 II has slightly better corners, but all shots I've seen from the 12-32 look really good. So I don't know if I should care. Has anyone compared both, or switched from one to other and care to comment on whether I'd be trading anything except a little tele for some more wide?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I own both; the 12-32mm is still one of my favourite lenses of all times because it combines diminuitive size with (much) better than expected image quality - in fact, it's one of the most useful lenses I own; sadly, it broke, but it's being repaired as I write ... It's not perfect, but it's very sharp, very contrasty and ultimately useful because it goes really wide. It delivers great colours, too - the images are invariably pleasing to great.

The 14-42mm II is also a surprisingly good lens, too - though I find it a bit off-putting that it comes with a plastic mount. It's a useful walkaround lens because it offers a usable focal length for portraits as well as a decent wide angle. It's very sharp, though not as crisp and contrasty as the 12-32mm - images appear a little flatter, less punchy. Still, it's a good lens to work with, but it doesn't inspire the same level of satisfaction and fascination than the 12-32mm when looking at the images I get.

So, if you only want to have/keep one lens of that type, I'd recommend the 12-32mm; it was actually good enough for me to travel with it as my only lens! But you could just as well keep both - those 14-42mm kit lenses don't fetch good prices when resold anyway, and they perform well enough to be usable in a pinch (the single one I don't use occasionally is the Olympus 14-42mm IIR - simply because I really don't like the way it handles; but even that lens is decent in terms of optics).

At the moment, the 14-42mm II is actually the lens I put on the E-PL7 when the 14-150mm is too bulky (i.e. if I can't or don't want to use a bag) and the 17mm isn't versatile enough. This might change when the 12-32mm is back, though ...

M.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Thanks for your opinions! They may have been enough to push me over the edge. Now I have to decide if I should just pick up the 12-32 as part of a GM1 kit, since it is only about $200 more to get the camera with the lens! :) 

And I agree it wouldn't sell for much, but I consider them too redundant. I'd rather have the $100 or so to put toward something else.

Interestingly enough the retail box versions of the 14-42 II have metal mounts but the kit lens versions do not. I have no idea why, but it's true.

4. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Alabanza
    Do you have to extend either of those lenses first upon turning on the camera?

5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Yes, the 12-32 has to be extended manually before it can be used. The 14-42 II does not (in fact it only changes length by a few millimeters across its entire zoom range)

• Like Like x 1
  6. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Yes, I know - I guess it's to justify the price, but I don't see their point; apart from cost, it might be weight, but why? It'd be so much better if you could get the metal mount regardless ...

I see your point (re: redundancy) - I'm more like a pack rat anyway, keeping everything that might come in useful eventually, but I fully agree it's not the most sensible strategy :cool: 

M.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Alabanza
    I think I'll opt for the 14-42 II, personally. I'm too fearful of the possibility of the 12-32 breaking apart some time in the future. The telephoto portion of the 14-42 II also makes it more versatile in my eyes. It's cheaper as well.

8. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Just got a 12-32 to replace my (little used) 14-42II - very happy with 12-32 and don't think I'd have a reason to bring the 14-42II instead. The size was the major factor for me, however having an option to use 12mm is very handy (once I get my head framing at 12mm).

9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes the 12-32 does come apart. But it's easy enough to fix and mine wasn't just falling off. It would just turn further than it should. Am I "Happy" about it? No. But it's not really that big a deal if you know about it and take it into account when buying.

I've never used the Pan 14-42 but I did have the Oly 14-42. I greatly prefer the size of the 12-32 and find the 12-14 range much more useful than the 32-42 range was.

10. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    The 12-32 is remarkably compact, wide angle, and very sharp (at least in the center... the edges are less sharp mostly beacause distorsion correction).
    I wouldn't even consider using the Panasonic 14-42 instead of my 12-32 ;) 

11. Robert

Robert Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 16, 2012
    Sold my p14/p20 pancake combination. Bought the p12-32 and I like the extra 2 mm. IQ matches the p14.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Mu-43

12. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    In fact, my copy of 12-32 corners are sharper than the P14 and PL25 at any aperture. Center doesn't lose out by much. It's welded to my E-PM2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.