1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oz Noy - Live at Johnny D's

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by jerfo, Jun 5, 2012.

1. jerfo

jerfo Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2011
    Last Wednesday, I attended a show in Somerville, MA with one of the world's finest guitarists: Oz Noy. The venue (Johnny D's) is OK with camera equipment as long as the artist is OK with it, so I brought my G2 and a bunch of different lenses. The lighting in there is suboptimal, to put it kindly. To make matters worse, the bright blue stage light was bothering Oz, so they ended up turning off the vast majority of the stage lights.

Here's a playlist of the four videos I took: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0801EB9C11CF687F&feature=view_all .

Each one was taken with a different lens at its widest aperture: the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Rokinon 85mm f1.4, Fujiyan 35mm f1.7, and Canon FD 50mm f1.8. Everything was hand held and manual focus, so I apologize in advance for any shakiness and loss of focus. I didn't want to bother the folks behind me, so I didn't use the rear LCD at all. I positioned and focused things using the viewfinder, planted my elbows firmly on the table, and tried my best not to move.

Hopefully, this will give some people an idea as to the limitations of the G2 under less than ideal lighting circumstances. I'm curious as to how this compares to, say, a GH2 or a Canon 5D MKII under similar conditions.

Thoughts? Comments? Let me know what you think.

- Jerfo