Owners of the Samyang/Roki/etc 7.5 Fisheye...CHIME IN!!!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Sep 22, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I know there are threads on this, but I'd like to get opinions specifically from OWNERS of the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower/etc 7.5 Fisheye lens. (Fun fact: Even though I drive by the factory where they're made a couple of times a week, I can't find it in stores ANYWHERE...gonna have to order it online).

G.A.S. is hitting me hardcore, and I've been loving the fisheye thing lately (never used to think much of it). I have a UWA zoom and a couple of fast primes (9-18, O45, O75), and was going to get a fast 20/25, but I think this would give me a more unique shooting experience and open more possibilities for fun! :D

How do you like this lens? How's the sharpness/contrast, especially?

Would I have to switch my OM-D to "shoot without a lens" every time I mounted this lens, or just pop it on and fire away? How does the light meter work with the manual aperture? I tried the Nokton 25 (full manual everything) on my OM-D and just popped it on and started shooting...is it the same deal with this lens?
  2. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
  3. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    I enjoy it.. I would liken the contrast/sharpness in the range of a decent kit lens (14-42II etc) possibly better, it certainly has its sweet spots.., I tried it back to back with the Pana 8mm and decided on the bower since I didn't notice a difference, and the AF on the pany was sloooow. .. I've used it on the OMD/gf1/ep3 and just mount it and shoot.
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have it. It's awesome. Don't worry about the optics.

Look, it's a fisheye. Approaching it in terms of sharpness, contrast, etc is the wrong tack. All of those attributes are fine, not incredible but fine. But a fisheye is entirely about perspective and composition, not the optical properties. There's going to be no point in pixel peeping the shots. Just get one, set it hyperfocal, and try not to abuse the distortion too much!
  5. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    You need to set the focal distance in camera and after that you are set. If this is your only manual lens then you don't need to change this as it will be set every time you place this lens on the camera.

Focus is set and forget because the lens is so wide (best to find the sweet spot for focus on the lens and always ensure it's at this spot when shooting). This lens is sharp and CA is controlled well. You will be happily surprised at how good this lens is and how much fun it can be. Paired with the tilt screen of the EM5 its perfect for work from different angles.
  6. willl

willl New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Love the lens. The lens is fun to shoot with. I probably over-use it, even when I probably shouldn't.

Sometimes I use Lightroom to correct the perspective a bit so it doesn't look too "fishy".

You don't need to set "shoot without a lens", as far as I know, that's only a Panasonic thing. I use mine on the Olympus e-pm1.
  7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I concur with the other comments. Along with the 14mm Panasonic, the 7.5mm is fantastic bang for the buck.

It even does great wide-angle shots if you're not a fish-fan and keep your horizon level.
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for all the input...I'm going to try and order one today!!! :D :D :D *sigh* I just got back (last night) from 5 days in Tokyo...this lens would have been PERFECT...oh well...hoping to do Osaka in a few weeks and put this lens through its paces...wheee!!!
  9. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    It's one of the gems of the whole ยต4/3 universe. Beautiful colours and great fun. Allows you to do some truly unique shots. Can't go wrong picking this up!
  10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Love mine. My fav lens after the 75. Better than the Canon ff fish IMHO.Set it to .5m and 5.6 and shoot away.

11. enricosavazzi

enricosavazzi New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2013
    To me, this lens is much more than a fisheye. I use it more often as an extreme wideangle, whenever I need a broader angle of view than I can get with anything else. I either use the image as-is, crop it or defish it according to the subject and image. Once you learn to use this lens, the "funny", or disturbing, distortion often seen in fisheye images shot by beginners becomes controllable in many cases.

Sharpness and contrast are definitely good, and flare rarely a problem (with this lens, if the sun is out, more likely than not it will end up in the image). The examples below were taken in difficult illumination conditions and moderately post-processed, but not defished:

• Like Like x 3
  12. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Fantastic lens, the only issue I have with it is exposure metering is sometimes off and you gave to adjust the exp comp. I think this common to very wide lenses.
  13. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    Same as the others here, I really like the little Samy. I usually mount it on my second body when I travel.

At first I had trouble with it because of the IS on the E-M5, which caused some shots to get blurry even though I had enough shutter speed. Setting the right focal length in the camera did the trick. As others have mentioned this is the type of lens where you do not worry about focus ; just set it to hyperfocal and never worry about it again.

This is my first fisheye (I had UWA before) and it's trickier than I thought to get a good composition with it. But it's also incredibly rewarding and fun to use!
  14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Woohoo..thanks for all the input!!!

Enrico: Those are awesome shots!!

I'm very excited because this lens seems to have the least amount of distortion...which is great...I want wiiiiiiide, not necessarily distorted.

I'm trying to find a good price on it...it's made in my freaking city, but I can't find it in stores anywhere in the country. Online in Korea it's $320 for the Samyang and $550-600 for the Rokinon and Bower versions (yeah...figure THAT one out, if you can).

The Bower is $240 at B&H. How the hell is it 25% cheaper than the Samyang here after being shipped halfway around the world??!! I'm going to get one of the Korean teachers at my school to call the Samyang factory tomorrow to see if I can get it straight from them. I doubt it, but maybe they'll be able to put us in touch with a local distributor...
  15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Maybe they have a store outlet where cosmetic rejects (chipped paint, etc) are sold.

Wonderful lens for its type.
  16. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    How do you do that and why?

I've just manually set the focal distance on the lens to max, and that keeps everything further than 50 cm or so in focus. What's the point of setting anything in the camera?

By the way took it to Coney Island Luna Park last weekend - the lens was practically made for it!
  17. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    This. I think this lens deserves its own body.
  18. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    First - this is a wonderful lens, lots of fun to use, easy to defish if you want and still crazy wide.
    Second - you go to the IS setting in the menu and it allows you to set stabilization for manual lenses. On my E-P3 I have to choose 8mm because there is no 7.5mm. That makes the IS work effectively with the lens.
  19. Trinurse

Trinurse Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    See for yourself. Fun little lens.

ImageUploadedByMu-431379963946.471578. ImageUploadedByMu-431379963999.087234.
    • Like Like x 6
  20. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I agree 100% with this assessment. I no longer have this lens, but when I did I found it to be usable in more situations that you would think a fisheye would be. I especially liked it for outdoor sports where you could get relatively close to the action:

P2020296 by ericarthur, on Flickr

P2020348 by ericarthur, on Flickr

P2020416 by ericarthur, on Flickr

P2020249 by ericarthur, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 2