Own an E-PM2. Get a G5 to supplement or sell for E-M5?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by svtquattro, Feb 20, 2013.

1. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    This is my dilemma. I love the E-PM2 but the handling stinks. I never realized how bad it is until I slapped the 14-54 II on my old E-620 today and whew does that ever feel good!

I have been selling off extra gear, such as VF-2, VF-3, misc lenses in preparation and I've got enough for either a new G5 body (waiting for the next $400 deal) or to sell the E-PM2 and buy a used E-M5 with my $400 + whatever my E-PM2 fetches.

I love the E-PM2 with P14/2.5. If I got a G5, I'd put the 14-54II on that and I'd have a nice setup. I want EVF, good handling and somewhere to mount the 45-175X and Sigma 30/2.8. I'd miss IBIS and weatherproofing and the cool factor of the OM-D. But I'd gain nice LCD articulating, power zoom control, in camera HDR, 1080p/60 video, and what else...a new UI to learn ;(

I don't see any new lenses in the budget for now so I'm leaning towards a G5 as a 2nd body which would complement the E-PM2 well. Or is the OM-D just THAT nice to hold? Note: there is no budget for HLD-6...

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Go to a store and find out.

I don't like small DSLRs, I love my big DSLR in terms of handling (but not the bulk and weight), and I find the E-M5 ungripped very pleasant to use.
  3. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    The G5 has a nice grip that should handle the 14-54 II very well. Also, I use the G5 at ISO 3200 with excellent results, so that should give you a faster shutter speed to help offset lack of IBIS. The ergonomics of the G5 with its internal EVF is great for larger lenses. The IQ of the G5 and E-M5 is very close.

A grip for the E-M5 is big $$$. Go for the G5 with built in grip.
  4. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

The G5 is a great camera and well suited to the larger lenses. I still have my EP3 and am happy using the ep3 with my smaller primes and to let the G5 house my 12-35 and Nokton 25mm.
    I made the decision to put the $400 I saved getting the G5 instead of the OMD towards lenses, it was the right choice for me.
  5. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks, I got to handle the G5 and GH3 at CES and the G5 felt perfect. Build quality was a bit lame, with the zoom toggle looking like someone stole the key cap off it, but the EVF was nice and big and it had a 100-300 attached making for nice range although in that dim setting it hunted for AF lock on the show floor.

Will go handle both today.
  6. justaguy

justaguy New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2013
    I just bought the pm2 and feel the handling leaves much to be desired.

Thinking I might return it and order the g5 for a little more then i paid for the the pm2.
  7. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
  8. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think I'll go G5 over the sexy, gotta have it OM-D that I've been wanting for so long. Can't beat G5 value! My little pen already has heart of OM-D!
  9. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I vote for G5 as a second body. As I'm having both O & P cameras I find it convenient sometimes to have a second one, more fun and creative.
  10. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks guys. That's what I'm gonna do. G5 looks growing on me. Hot with the Summilux 25/1.4 for sure!
  11. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just ordered one from amazon.com. $380 + $7 shipping, body only and NEW! (3rd party seller, not amazon).

Can't wait to get it. The G5 is such a steal at these prices. Half the price of a used E-M5!
  12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    For the price you simply cannot beat the G5.