Owls anyone?

chipbutty

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
One from earlier this year that landed on a tree in our backyard at night (no Idea as to breed). I was completely unprepared for this and shot it with my 35-100mm f2 (significant crop) and when I came back with my longer lens, I made too much noise coming outside and it took off:

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
How do you get those great shots of owls during the day? I don't think I've ever seen an owl in daylight in Australia.

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
How do you get those great shots of owls during the day? I don't think I've ever seen an owl in daylight in Australia.
In my case, two of the three were out during daylight. The snowy owl was around a nearby town for 2-3 weeks last January, and just perched on buildings and trees, or hunted in fields. I think they are diurnal, not nocturnal. The barred owl was on a nest in Florida, so it was awake but not flying during the day. The screech owl was photographed at dusk, as it came out of its nest in the pole. I know that they are nocturnal, so I was just lucky to see it when there was still enough light (and to be close enough).

fortwodriver

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Frank
Olympus E-M1
75-300 @ 117mm
ISO 2000, 1/13 @ f5.3

ak300

Mu-43 Veteran
Some of my favorite owl portraits:

(siberian eagle owl)

(great grey owl)

(eurasian eagle owl)

(tawny owl)

Best regards,
Alex

Fred S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Fred S

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
Thanks. It appears that we only have 10 owl species and I still haven't figured out what I photographed.
Ray, I think you've got a frogmouth there, not an owl. I think it's a tawny frogmouth, but see what you think.

Wikipedia says, "The tawny frogmouth (Podargus strigoides) is a species of frogmouth native to Australia that is found throughout the Australian mainland and Tasmania. Tawny frogmouths are big-headed stocky birds often mistaken for owls due to their nocturnal habits and similar colouring."

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Ray, I think you've got a frogmouth there, not an owl. I think it's a tawny frogmouth, but see what you think.

Wikipedia says, "The tawny frogmouth (Podargus strigoides) is a species of frogmouth native to Australia that is found throughout the Australian mainland and Tasmania. Tawny frogmouths are big-headed stocky birds often mistaken for owls due to their nocturnal habits and similar colouring."
That's the only one that I've found that comes sort of close in appearance, so you could be right. I should label it 'Not an owl'.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom