Oviedo, capital of my Province

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by angloasturian, Apr 14, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

This afternoon I accompanied one of my best friends to Oviedo as he had a meeting. It's the capital of Asturias (dating from 761 AD) and has a wonderful old part, mainly around the cathedral (started 13th century and added to until 16th). I wandered around taking photos of the old part (what memories - I spent my first three years in Oviedo - 1969 to 1972).
    Iconoindustries should enjoy this - he said he loved old stone castles etc.. No castles here but a cathedral and many beautiful old buildings.

The Cathedral

Oviedo is dotted with statues, mostly recent and bronze. I like some and quite dislike others. This one I love.

It's called 'The Traveller' and, as you can see, has beautiful detail (the cases, and especially, the umbrella).

This church is next to the cathedral in the square

One of the streets leading off the cathedral square

and a religious article shop in it

This brass shell indicates that this street is on the 'Santiago Trail' (the famous pilgrim route to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia)

The old fish market - now a municipal art exhibition centre

which had an exhibition called 'First Ladies' and were photos by 'Medecins sans Frontiers' volunteers of women in the Third World. An example:

'The King of Ham'

This square ('El Fontan') is where the Sunday market is held. I hope to go there this weekend.

• Like Like x 4
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    such beauty... thank you for sharing.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That is a very enjoyable set. You have a very nice way to do travel images and your words fit the images perfectly.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. W.Ray

W.Ray Mu-43 Rookie

I was really enjoying the images of your wonderful town until "Rel Del Jamon". Now I'm hungry! Well, I guess I could visit the local Spanish restaurant for some tapas tomorrow.
    • Like Like x 1