1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oviedo, capital of my Province

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by angloasturian, Apr 14, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

This afternoon I accompanied one of my best friends to Oviedo as he had a meeting. It's the capital of Asturias (dating from 761 AD) and has a wonderful old part, mainly around the cathedral (started 13th century and added to until 16th). I wandered around taking photos of the old part (what memories - I spent my first three years in Oviedo - 1969 to 1972).
    Iconoindustries should enjoy this - he said he loved old stone castles etc.. No castles here but a cathedral and many beautiful old buildings.

The Cathedral

Oviedo_27.jpg

Oviedo is dotted with statues, mostly recent and bronze. I like some and quite dislike others. This one I love.

Oviedo_25.jpg

It's called 'The Traveller' and, as you can see, has beautiful detail (the cases, and especially, the umbrella).

[​IMG]

This church is next to the cathedral in the square

Oviedo_5.jpg

One of the streets leading off the cathedral square

[​IMG]

and a religious article shop in it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This brass shell indicates that this street is on the 'Santiago Trail' (the famous pilgrim route to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia)

[​IMG]

The old fish market - now a municipal art exhibition centre

[​IMG]

which had an exhibition called 'First Ladies' and were photos by 'Medecins sans Frontiers' volunteers of women in the Third World. An example:

[​IMG]

'The King of Ham'

Oviedo_23.jpg

This square ('El Fontan') is where the Sunday market is held. I hope to go there this weekend.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    such beauty... thank you for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Colin,
    That is a very enjoyable set. You have a very nice way to do travel images and your words fit the images perfectly.
    Thanks.....shooter

• Like Like x 1
  4. W.Ray

W.Ray Mu-43 Rookie

I was really enjoying the images of your wonderful town until "Rel Del Jamon". Now I'm hungry! Well, I guess I could visit the local Spanish restaurant for some tapas tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1