OVF suggestions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dixeyk, Apr 14, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I know ZERO about old school OVFs for RF cameras. Is there one that would be a good choice to use with my E-P3 for my P14, P20 and O45 (or any combination thereof)? I am finding the VF2 to be very washed out and difficult to see in bright sunlight because I wear glasses and the distance I need to be away form the eyepiece means too much light gets in. I have been thinking an OVF might be a good option. I could also use it on my E-P1 as well.

I have a couple of old ones but they have a silvery finish on one side and are very dim when you look through them...I figure there have to be better ones than that.
  2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The best accessory viewfinders are not cheap but they are very bright and large. Cameraquest.com should have most of them listed, and forsale. I have the old Russian turret finders, and they're much dimmer.
  3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I went and checked those out and I had suspected I was looking at some expense.
  4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The best OVF for the Panasonic 20mm is the Olympus VF-1 designed for the Olympus 17mm, but matches the 20mm perfectly. The other viewfinders you will find are 3:2 rather than 4:3. Although I m not sure an OVF will solve your problem.
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well...it would give me something for my P20. It is one ugly OVF though and $80 at that. I read somewhere that the larger eye cup for the VF2 helps a lot in bright light. That's only $20...maybe I'll try that first.
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    The larger eye cup does wonders. I wear glasses, and it was quite useable with the EP9 eyecup.
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'd go for the EVF eyecup. If you can't use the viewfinder for anything but framing with no idea of focus (at least not with the VF-1), then why do you even need the clarity of an optical viewfinder? Even a washed out back LCD can show you what you're framing. The EP-9 eyecup for the VF-2 on the other hand, will be very beneficial...

After shooting for so many years with a TTL viewfinder (whether SLR or EVF), looking through a simple framing aid is just plain weird and disjointed.
  8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    These things (Tewe Polyfocus viewfinder) crop up from time to time on auction sites and seem fairly well regarded -

Tewe Polyfocus Viewfinder

I have an old Leica viewfinder but find its eyepiece far too small for my eyes.
  9. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

$80 is very cheap for an OVF.

Just look at the price of Carl Zeiss viewfinders for rangefinder cameras, made in Japan by Cosina - $415 to $439 at B&H. Then look at the lower price of Voigtländer viewfinders for rangefinder cameras, made in Japan by Cosina - mostly $149 to $209 at B&H.

The rangefinder fraternity regards the Voigtländer finders as offering good optical quality at very reasonable prices. So $80 is a steal. But the $20 larger eye cup sounds just perfect. :smile:
  10. Muntz

Muntz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2010
    Just a word of warning. I own one of these that I tried to use with my E-P1 and legacy glass. It is a really nice piece; but, impossible to use if you wear glasses.
  11. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I bought the VF-2 because where I live the light can be strong enough so that I couldn't see what I was framing at times on the LCD screen, really total washout. I do wear glasses and that may be making my situation worse but I often get situations where I can't see what I'm framing on the screen of my E-P3.
  12. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Ditto - the antipodean sun can be brutal. Even when its not physically hot, its just very very bright.