Oversharpening, the new hit?

laser8

Mu-43 Veteran
I may have been developing a "taste" for what I like photographically and therefore a bias toward what does or does not suit me, but a significant proportion of the pictures I see on flickr/500px do look way way oversharpened, with huge halos and, it looks to me, too heavy shadows lifting (kind of a "pedal to the metal" approach in post processing:biggrin:).

Is it a new fashion of the (20)10's, like the soft focus of the 80's?

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
People don't look good unless they look like a cardboard cut-out.

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
I may have been developing a "taste" for what I like photographically and therefore a bias toward what does or does not suit me, but a significant proportion of the pictures I see on flickr/500px do look way way oversharpened, with huge halos and, it looks to me, too heavy shadows lifting (kind of a "pedal to the metal" approach in post processing:biggrin:).

Is it a new fashion of the (20)10's, like the soft focus of the 80's?

Well, people keep tussling about lens sharpness test charts all the time like it's the biggest deal in the world these days, so it's only logical that they put their money where their mouth is and also sharpen their photos in post until they're ready to stab you in the eye, I guess? =P

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Apparently flickr heavily processes images when you upload them.

Um, not that I've noticed. Only to the degree they get resized - the original full size images are what I processed them to be.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I"ve had a flickr pro account for a while and I've never found that it "sharpens" the images upon upload.

I tend to be a bit heavy handed with sharpening though...

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom