Overgrown Church

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Tecpatl4, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    An old church not far from my house.

church2.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I've got a church near me heading toward the same condition of decay.

I plan on heading back there in the winter when the ticks and chiggers are not so bad ...

1087093234_FdDcc-L.

• Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Tecpatl4,
    I like the quality of the light you've caught in that photograph. I realise that it would have altered the perspective somewhat but it's a shot where I would have tried to position myself so that my shadow was not visible in the photograph, also I'm assuming that it was a somewhat wide angle lens looking upwards slightly, hence the leaning effects. Again I would have made some attempts to minimise that if I could have, not always possible of course, you'd need a view camera and tilting back, rising front and all that to eliminate it fully.
    Nothing takes away from the lovely light you've captured though.
    Just out of interest, are there any clues in the photograph to tell the viewer that it's an old church, if you had not told us I would have assumed it was an old barn and I would have been wrong.

Barrie

4. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    It was almost sundown, and rush hour. I tried several postiions, but I couldn't get the perspective I wanted without the shadow, unless I stood in the middle of the highway.

I've passed this building for years but never stopped.I was coming home from a day of hiking and the light was so nice I had to. I thought it was a house at first, but when I got close I saw inside there is a foyer. Also if you look closely at the boarded up windows, you see they are closely spaced and very tall, which is a common feature of meeting houses/churches in this area. It indicates a single large room. I suppose it could have been a school house, but I didn't go inside to investigate.

5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Thanks for your explanations, much appreciated.
    I can see your problem with obtaining the best point of view :smile:, few photographs are worth the risk of getting knocked down :rolleyes:, you did the best you could given the restraints imposed by circumstances.

Barrie