1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Overexposure when using flash with MF lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gcogger, Jul 1, 2010.

1. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Has anyone tried using a flash with an old, adapted, manual focus lens on a u4/3 camera? When I do this on my Panasonic G1, using the onboard flash, most of the pictures are grossly overexposed (say 2 stops typically). Is it just me?

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I use a Nikon SB22s on top of my Pens.
    Say at ISO 200 it calls for f5.6. I will use f8.
    I also keep my cameras at -.3 EV.
    This helps. I have some flash shots in my gallery.

I would suggest using the G1 in M mode.
    Set say 1/125 and test each aperture to see what gives the desired result. Then use the shutter speed to get the background where you want it.

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The flash in MF mode isn't really doing anything but full power output. It's certainly not TTL-ing anything, and even setting the flash exposure level doesn't seem to make a difference. I found that out the hard way using the in-camera flash as fill lighting for my macro work. I put a home-made diffuser by the lens, and made the issue go away. Now I can shoot with the in-camera flash at full power, and take perfectly exposed photos at 1/160 in daylight.

4. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Yes, fill flash was what I was trying to get. It sounds like it will be rather hit and miss using the on-camera flash, whatever I do. Oh well, I'm using old fashioned manual lenses, so I may as well try and find an old fashioned manual flash to go with them :) 

I wonder why the camera can't do some sort of TTL flash metering with a manual lens?

5. so 650

so 650 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2010
    bump ... and do other m4/3 cameras handle this better?

I've been struggling with this issue as well with adapted lenses on a G1. The flash doesn't give the impression of doing any metering, just full power. For static subjects I can slowly experiment to get it right, but for moving targets (kids) it ain't working.

Do any of the micro 4/3 cameras handle this better?

6. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    As you guys suggested, G1 doesn't meter properly , but you can change Flash intensity manually ( if you are using the internal flash) or and external compatible with m4/3. It did cause me grief , but by going to around f11 and ev -2 i get a decent enough result. this setting varies i always do a test shot before hand. TTL cannot be done as far as i know you do not input your focal length and you aperture since then it is impossible to adjust the flash intensity with legacy lenses on M4/3 .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.