1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Overexposure when using flash with MF lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gcogger, Jul 1, 2010.

1. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Has anyone tried using a flash with an old, adapted, manual focus lens on a u4/3 camera? When I do this on my Panasonic G1, using the onboard flash, most of the pictures are grossly overexposed (say 2 stops typically). Is it just me?

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I use a Nikon SB22s on top of my Pens.
    Say at ISO 200 it calls for f5.6. I will use f8.
    I also keep my cameras at -.3 EV.
    This helps. I have some flash shots in my gallery.

I would suggest using the G1 in M mode.
    Set say 1/125 and test each aperture to see what gives the desired result. Then use the shutter speed to get the background where you want it.

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The flash in MF mode isn't really doing anything but full power output. It's certainly not TTL-ing anything, and even setting the flash exposure level doesn't seem to make a difference. I found that out the hard way using the in-camera flash as fill lighting for my macro work. I put a home-made diffuser by the lens, and made the issue go away. Now I can shoot with the in-camera flash at full power, and take perfectly exposed photos at 1/160 in daylight.

4. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Yes, fill flash was what I was trying to get. It sounds like it will be rather hit and miss using the on-camera flash, whatever I do. Oh well, I'm using old fashioned manual lenses, so I may as well try and find an old fashioned manual flash to go with them :)

I wonder why the camera can't do some sort of TTL flash metering with a manual lens?

5. so 650

so 650 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2010
    bump ... and do other m4/3 cameras handle this better?

I've been struggling with this issue as well with adapted lenses on a G1. The flash doesn't give the impression of doing any metering, just full power. For static subjects I can slowly experiment to get it right, but for moving targets (kids) it ain't working.

Do any of the micro 4/3 cameras handle this better?

6. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    As you guys suggested, G1 doesn't meter properly , but you can change Flash intensity manually ( if you are using the internal flash) or and external compatible with m4/3. It did cause me grief , but by going to around f11 and ev -2 i get a decent enough result. this setting varies i always do a test shot before hand. TTL cannot be done as far as i know you do not input your focal length and you aperture since then it is impossible to adjust the flash intensity with legacy lenses on M4/3 .