Overexposed photos

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
I hope someone can help with this issue. I have intermittent problems with overexposed shots indoors or outdoors. I will take the shot and see that it is overexposed and take a second shot that comes out fine. I am using my G85 with the P12-60 kit lens with auto ISO and aperture priority mode. I have exposure compensation set to 0. Here are a couple of examples.
P1010644.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1010643.JPG
P1010637.JPG
P1010636.JPG
P1010632.JPG
P1010631.JPG

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I noticed that in the exif data as well and was confused. Would the camera automatically change that?

Hi Chuck.

The 'exposure bias' readings indicate that the camera has been instructed to over and under expose.

On my camera (EM1.2), this can be done through turning a wheel on the top plate, or via the main menu to set up sequences of bracketed exposures.

I am wondering if you are inadvertently moving a wheel on your camera? A lot depends on how you have set it up. By default, your camera looks as though it needs an F1 button press to activate it, but this can be overridden (if you bought secondhand, it may well have been). It may or may not be obvious from the viewfinder info, again, depending on how you have it set up.

In this case, if you are not sure what is going on, a full reset to factory defaults may be the easiest solution. Then go outside and fire off a few dozen pictures of the cat (if you don't have a cat, you could borrow one from a neighbour) and see if the issue has fixed itself.

Richard.

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Hi Chuck.

The 'exposure bias' readings indicate that the camera has been instructed to over and under expose.

On my camera (EM1.2), this can be done through turning a wheel on the top plate, or via the main menu to set up sequences of bracketed exposures.

I am wondering if you are inadvertently moving a wheel on your camera? A lot depends on how you have set it up. By default, your camera looks as though it needs an F1 button press to activate it, but this can be overridden (if you bought secondhand, it may well have been). It may or may not be obvious from the viewfinder info, again, depending on how you have it set up.

In this case, if you are not sure what is going on, a full reset to factory defaults may be the easiest solution.
Agree.
Then go outside and fire off a few dozen pictures of the cat (if you don't have a cat, you could borrow one from a neighbour) and see if the issue has fixed itself.
:rofl:

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
I did not have this problem until fairly recently. I have always used the F1 button then turned the dial to change the exposure compensation. It is possible I might have accidentally changed a setting so I will look into that. I've only owned the camera for just over a year.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
It does sound like the camera is set to exposure bracketing - single shot mode. When you press the F1 button, if exposure bracketing is set, you'll see multiple dots under the exposure scale and the shooting sequence is displayed next to the icon at the top left of the display. You can tap that icon and select off to disable exposure bracketing.

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
The odd thing is that it doesn't happen with every shot. Could one of the contacts between the lens and camera be dirty and thus not always making good contact? I will check the camera settings in the next day or so and test the camera with a different lens to see if I get the same problem. I appreciate all the suggestions thus far.

BrentC

Mu-43 Veteran
It sounds like the bracketing is your issue but you can also check your metering mode. Spot metering can give you this issue depending what is being spot metered.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
If bracketing is on, how noticeable it is could depend on the ev offset associated with the bracket sequence number, so you might not notice it on every shot.

I had a metering fault with my G80, but only when external flash was used. I had to have a new top control board fitted, but I don't think this is your issue.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Are you sure this isn't something related to the artificial lighting in the building?

Does your camera have a flicker-reducer or something which monitors for flicker in the lighting and alters the exposure to try and beat the timing?

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
I have this problem even outdoors. This past weekend was the first time I had a chance to use the camera extensively indoors. I swapped the lens after work tonight to my P45-150 and went outside before the storm came and shot about 2 dozen shots. A few were over exposed but not as bad and a few were slightly underexposed. After dinner I checked the settings and single shot bracketing was turned on. I will shoot some more in the next couple of days as a test. Hopefully this was the issue. I appreciate all the suggestions and tips. There's still a lot to learn about the camera, features, and settings. So far I really like the camera and the P12-60 kit lens.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Although the pairs of images seem to be centered on approximately the same focus point, if you are using spot metering, any change of focus point can drastically change the exposure reading. I'm not familiar with Pany cameras, but you said you think you are using multi-point metering. If this is a large version of spot-metering, it would be less prone to drastic changes caused by the slight shift of focus point, but still, I think it might be the case of this which nobody has mentioned. The exposure bracketing seems more likely, however.

Projectdb

New to Mu-43
I have this problem even outdoors. This past weekend was the first time I had a chance to use the camera extensively indoors. I swapped the lens after work tonight to my P45-150 and went outside before the storm came and shot about 2 dozen shots. A few were over exposed but not as bad and a few were slightly underexposed. After dinner I checked the settings and single shot bracketing was turned on. I will shoot some more in the next couple of days as a test. Hopefully this was the issue. I appreciate all the suggestions and tips. There's still a lot to learn about the camera, features, and settings. So far I really like the camera and the P12-60 kit lens.
With single shot bracketing, depending on the frames and EV step size, it could definitely be what your seeing. I.E. on 3 frames with an EV step size of 1, your first shot will be under exposed by one EV, your second shot will be over exposed by one EV, and your third shot will be 0 EV. Or something very similar (not as familiar with Panasonic)

If you are seeing it on back to back photos with regularity, I think turning off bracketing will solve the issue.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom