1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Over my Fuji lust. Oly let's see your next cam!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jan 9, 2012.

1. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    any clue when the GX1 with the 14-42mm power zoom will hit the US?

2. jaygee

jaygee Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2011
    Brighton, Ontario
    Looking at the size of the new Fuji, it's not much smaller than a DSLR! It's certainly not pocketable. So why would one pay three times the price of a DSLR?

3. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    That's exactly what I was thinking. The thing is a brick! Quite literally. In the photos it might look small and sleek, but when you see it in their hands in the video you realize it's really not that tiny at all.

I'm somewhat hoping that the new Oly camera isn't retro-styled (ie: OM SLR) but whatever it is, if it has a center mounted EVF (or hybrid) and is weathersealed, I'll probably pick it up. Right now the only thing my G2 is lacking is IBIS and weather-sealing. With the new Olympus camera, it looks like it will cover both of those points, and if it keeps somewhat of an SLR form-factor I will be happy.

I do not like the range-finder styled left EVF as it just doesn't feel right for me.

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Lol.. so we can't afford such a voluptuous body ..lol she charges too much for one night stand ..hahahaahh . Better to get ur current girl friend some more sexy gifts and let her perform better rather than drooling over other BODIES ..
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    These things are relative. The Fuji and 35/1.4 is basically the same size as the GX1 and 25/1.4. For normal pockets, most m4/3 cameras + lens combos aren't pocketable either.

DH

6. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't believe that's correct. The Fuji is pretty substantially taller and thicker. The Fuji is M9 sized.

7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    The lens alone makes either of these combinations unpocketable - you just wouldn't expect that with an f1.4 lens, it just doesn't happen!

Try a 17mm f2.8 or 14mm f2.5 on the GX1 instead. :smile:

8. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    The size. I have a GF1 and often see myself bringing it up to my eye because I am so used to using an EVF. Yeah, I could get the VF-1, but I don't want to worry about an extra thing when I go out. And the EVF that I want could be to the side like on the X100.

BTW, the sample images from X-Pro1 have impressed me so far!
    Worldwide Gallery | FUJIFILM X-Pro1
    FUJIFILM X-Pro1 | Sample Images | Fujifilm Global

9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Assuming Panasonic are able to fit an EVF in the existing space. Sony have proven it is possible, but Olympus and Panasonic aren't showing signs of being able to reciprocate.

I'd be suprised and disappointed if the sample images from a $1700 body only pro camera with prime lens were anything but impressive!

10. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    All Oly releases have been a disappointment so far after so many hypes with the features we want. I am not too hopeful for Oly to release something too revolutionary. As past experience suggests there will addition of 2 features and the rest will be carried over from the pens. First and foremost for there to be progress Oly must improve the sensor eg. DR. Yes you can stay within the current limits and still take good pictures but that is not an excuse. I love the pictures of my e-pl1. I just need more resolution and less noise. I'll be a happy camper.

My prediction: At max we will see the built in viewfinder (rumors says middle of the camera), maybe tilt touch screen. The rest of the features will be carried over from the E-P3. I don't have too many hopes for much improved sensor.

11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'm thinking more along the lines of a m4/3 version of the E5. Lots of buttons, full articulating screen and minor image quality improvements over the most recent bodies.

Fred

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I wouldn't! Camera companies are notorious for publishing sample that... ahem... do not show their wares in a favorable light. Perhaps Fuji avoids that particular pitfall this time, but if they don't they would hardly be alone.

DH

13. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    tetzu
    doesn't look like that is the final price. rumor sites have shown pre order of the fuji for 1.4k US of a $.

14. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    For me the E P3 is where Olympus got it right.
    The E PM1 is a fun alternative to have something smaller with me or a different lens.
    I love the jpeg images the Olympus creates, the ease of use, and the coolness factor.
    I have a small collection of native and legacy lenses that work for me.
    Gas has abated.

15. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    x2 :thumbup:

16. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    The next Olympus camera, if there is such a thing, will be a repackaged E-P1 (same old 12MP sensor, tweaked firmware, & etc.). Unfortunately that's all Olympus has produced over the past three years.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The new Fuji is a lovely camera (Leica beware) but I paid less than $1000 for my Pentax K-5 body, which is not huge. And I'll bet, with my DA Limited primes, that it'll give the Fuji a run for its money.

18. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    tetzu
    vasmani is right oly has been using the same sensor since e620 for three yrs, ep3 should have had a new sensor in that time frame and model advancement.

I don't know if they cant get any supplier or they don't want to reach out. pana is hugging the 16mp sensor. or they just simply believe that sensor is enough for what most people need. fuji specs on paper looks impressive, even the lens prices are good.

19. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I sure hope not! :eek: 

Olympus has done so much right with the E-P3, except for that outdated sensor, that if they come up with a new version without an improved sensor, I doubt if they could sell any at all. People will just opt for the E-P3, which will be much cheaper by then... I might buy a second E-P3 body then too! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.