1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Over my Fuji lust. Oly let's see your next cam!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jan 9, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    OK, at $1700 body and $500-600 per lens, I'm officially over my lust for the new Fuji, but while I love my EPM1, I still want a body with integrated EVF (I need two bodies -- the super compact EPM1 and one with a built-in VF).

C'mon Oly -- let's see what you have for the new Pen Pro! I've already got the lenses, so just get me something not much bigger than a Pen, with a built in EVF and please, please, please the new Panny sensors. I'm ready to run the credit card!

• Like Like x 1
  2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    DITTO. :2thumbs: But not the credit card bit :smile:

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If Olympus does an OM style camera, I'm confident they'll make it look cool. I'm actually really excited to see what they announce!

4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    $1700 can get you a whole lot in the m43 format...

I'm guessing they'll price a similar body from Oly/Panny around $1000ish, in the GH2 range.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    $1000 USED to look expensive, lol! Now I'll be excited!

6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just watched the Fuji Guys video preview of the X-Pro1 and I gotta admit, I'm starting to like the camera a lot. It looks damn sexy!

7. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    If this were poker.

If this were poker, I would have to say that I am out. I used to spend that much and more when I shot weddings. My best Nikon glass cost me around $1,800 a lens, but that was then, and this is now. I just picked up my G3, I have my lens and now it is time to take some pictures.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

• Like Like x 1
  8. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    You have the link of that video dude?.:drinks:

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Olympus and Panasonic better step it up, because this X-Pro1 looks freaking beautiful! Here's the Fuji Guys link:

fujiguys's Channel - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The body is steep, but if you're a fast prime person, the lens prices don't seem wildly out of whack. The 12/2, 25/1.4 and 45/2.8 are the most closely comparable lenses to the Fuji ones and combined they're at least $2k (plus another $950 for the GX1 + EVF).

DH

11. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Come on you X100 owners, go get the X-Pro1. I just want your camera for $600 :smile:.

I'd like to see GX1 with an in built EVF. That's all I ask for.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree, but it is completely the OPPOSITE of normal camera economics, right? Bodies drop very quickly in value, but lenses are worth it? If the body is 3X the cost of the lens, are you really willing to spend $1700 on an electronic gadget that might lose value quickly (though, that more applies to DSLRs and m43 and NEX -- if you look at Leica and the X100, they've managed to keep up their value, but the Leica X100 has dropped pretty badly).

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I suspect that scarcity will ensure that the X-Pro, unless a complete and utter dud, will retain its value reasonably well. Certainly, it won't drop from $800 to $250 like the Olympus E-P1 did in 18 months. But yes, like all consumer electronics it does have a fairly limited lifespan. That's why I tend to shy away from higher end cameras at this point, at least the new ones.

DH

14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    The wisest comment you'll read all week! :2thumbs:

15. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    What would be the advantage of a GX1 with built in EVF over a GH2?

16. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    Agree.... it looks totally nice. But a bit beyond my budget at the moment. Plus, I'm quite invested in MFT. I'm sure Panny/Oly will develop similar technology in future MFT releases.

17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Looks like a nice camera, but I have some nice cameras and lenses already. I'm momentarily happy with my kit. The big upgrade this year will be the oaf behind the viewfinder :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I seem to remember that when the Fuji X100 was first reported half of this forum vowed to jump ship when it became available, but never did. :smile:

19. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Unfortunately I don't think the new Olympus will be much cheaper than the Fuji. To buy the EP3 and VF2 is around $1000.
    If this new body is weather sealed and has a new whizz bang viewfinder and a new sensor expect to pay $1400-1500 minimum for the body. I don't think Olympus is in the financial position to undercut other manufacturers to get market share and based on past lens and camera body releases they aren't interested in being the cheapest option available.
    I hope I am wrong and they can get the body down to sub $1000 it would generate huge interest.

20. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Sounds like you want a G3. :)