1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OV3 On C: With Photos On D:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carbonman, Oct 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I've just had a bunch of work done on my PC. Programs are on my new C drive and data files are on the D drive. How do I tell Olympus Viewer 3 that the photo files are on D?
    I would rather not keep all my photos with the OS if possible, but don't know if I'll have to wait until I get LR6 to do this.

2. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I just navigate to the folder I want to look at in the browser window which shows all drives on my PC - I don't think it matters which drive the program is installed on.

Also for new file transfers there is an option called "Import to (Library View)" under Tools - Options - Basic, again this can be anywhere on your PC, just choose the drive you want to use.

I feel like my answer is almost too simple, maybe I have overlooked something more complex in your question?

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    You're right, in a way. All my pictures were loaded on the D drive and Olympus Viewer was loaded onto the C drive. I downloaded photos from my SD card from the camera to OV3. They loaded to OV3 in the C drive. I couldn't open any of the other folders except this most recent one because OV3 had the thumbnails but not the actual photos. I went into Folder View and was able to access my older pictures.
    When I tried to find and move the most recent images, I couldn't find them in Windows Explorer, except as 3 folders covering the dates the pictures were shot on. I moved them to my D drive and will now use Folder View. It's going to be a pain if I use OV3 to download from the card. In future, I'll use WE to download to D:/Pictures/OV3 and just use OV3 on C: for processing until I get LR6 for Christmas.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you only use folders in OV3 you will find them if you assign the location to save them in. Also, after downloading them into a folder with a previous lot, you need to then click on the folder in the list on the left of the screen (in OV3 if that is how you have the layout selected) to see them all in OV3. Clicking on the raw file in Windows Explore should (if set as default) open OV3 to the folder where it is saved (but not that file directly).

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    OV3 looks a little different than it did on the old HDD. Some features are now visible, including the capability to save downloads from the camera to the D drive. It appears I'm in business the way I want to be. Thanks for all the help; it's been an overwhelming few weeks technologically and I'm suffering some information overload.

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I know what you mean when all that happens. It ends up being so time consuming as well!