OV3 1.4.2 Bug

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Brian Beezley, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Olympus Viewer 3 version 1.4.2 became available today. It has a bug: for certain crop dimensions or for an output size less than about 1550 pixels, it will fault and fail to write a 16-bit TIFF.

Brian

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. Brian Beezley

I reported the OV3 1.4.2 bug to Olympus. I asked how to revert to the previous version and they provided the following response:

"There is no way to roll back an update so the only thing you could do is a complete uninstall and then reinstall an earlier version.

If you download Olympus Viewer 3 from our website at this link it will install Version 1.4 not version 1.4.2

http://support.olympus-imaging.com/ov3download/index/

Just make sure that after it is installed you do not accept the update notice."

I tried installing it over my existing installation, hoping to retain my ORF edits, but it failed. After I uninstalled 1.4.2 as instructed, 1.4 installed fine. It turns out my edits survived anyway.

I recommend not installing 1.4.2. Wait for a bug fix.

Brian

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's interesting. In their update notes in said it fixed a bug! o_O

4. Brian Beezley

I noticed that. Well, they added one, too. 1.4.2 supports the EM-5 II high-resolution mode so I bet they will correct the problem promptly.

By the way, here's where to report bugs:

[email protected]

I have reported several bugs in the past and they have been responsive.

Brian

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I tried to download 1.4.2 several times and couldn't get my connection to the Oly server to work. Guess I'm lucky.

6. Ross the fiddler

I updated OV3 back on the 20th & had noticed that bug since I don't normally save as tiff. I also have the previous download to reinstall if I need to but won't do so unless I experience a problem myself.

7. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Well, I tried all this to reinstall 1.4 three times, and all I got each time was 1.2
    Updating that gets me 1.4.2...I'll have to live with it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  8. Brian Beezley

How curious. I just doublechecked and I did get 1.4, not 1.2. I would notify Olympus at the e-mail address I gave. Maybe they juggled something in response to my bug report and goofed it up. 1.2 is over a year old.

Brian

9. Brian Beezley

OV3 version 1.5, available today, fixes the 1.4.2 bug for TIFF output.

Brian

10. Ross the fiddler

So that's the bug they fixed!

11. Brian Beezley

I guess so. What I don't understand is that the 1.5 release notes say, "Support for the latest cameras." But 1.4.2 already supported the E-M5 II. I wonder what cameras they are referring to. Maybe they just mean better support.

Brian

12. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My computer has a problem downloading OV3 updates. The download display sits at 1% and the estimated time counter keeps growing into the hundreds of minutes. Last time, I ended up deleting OV3 and loading the newest version.