OV2 / Linux : Have some WINE !

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mauve, Sep 17, 2010.

1. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    As many of my things are still boxed following my move to a new apartment, my only remaining windows laptop is MIA for the time being.

Nonetheless, I had a couple of minutes on my hands and wanted to give Olympus Viewer 2 a try since a long time.

I knew the previous raw software from Olympus (Master 2) didn't worked at all on Linux so I had little hopes situation was likely to change.

I was wrong ; OV2 works via the windows compatibility layer (wine). :thumbup:

It's not absolutely perfect, though. For instance, the top ribbon of icons is not displayed, so no quick functions access, but the menu do work, so it's not a problem. I also had the whole application lock up at random once while generating some thumbnails, but it was OK upon restart. You can neither download pictures from camera nor update camera firmware, and, of course, it's much slower than a native application (but it's not sluggish either, it's still very useable).

Still, there's an interest for the e-p1 user (well, 2 interests to be precise) : you now have access to the 2 supplementary art filters of the e-p2, diorama and cross process. And you benefit from Olympus inner knowledge of the sensor to apply a very precise colour profile while developing raws.

A mixed bag, but interesting to every e-pX owner, closet linux user, out there.

Cheers,

Mauve

• Like Like x 4
  2. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Oooh very interesting!
    Which Linux and which Wine did you use?

3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I tested on Fedora 10, wine 1.1.23 ; it's not cutting edge (we're at Fedora 13 now) but it's stable for me so I'm reluctant to change on my desktop.

4. bogolisk

bogolisk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    Interesting! OM-2 works for me with wine 1.1.37 (it stops working since 1.1.38.) But I've never managed to get OV-2 working!

Even if I run Ubuntu 10.04, I still hold wine at 1.1.37 for OM-2.

ETA: I just tried wine 1.2 and OV-2 works. But it seems to be more unstable (crash) than OV-2 on wine 1.1.38

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I also like wine when computing :biggrin:.

This Linux thing seems to be gathering momentum - never ventured there myself.

6. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Give it a whirl! I've been using it as my primary OS since late 1994, and things have certainly changed for the better, rapidly, over the last couple of years.

A new version of Ubuntu is out on the tenth; that would be the ideal time to get started.

10/10/10 for 10.10! 10 out of 10?

7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Yeah i think I use Unix with darwin kernels or sumthin. I'm upto 10.6.4:rofl:

8. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I've been using Puppy Linux for some time to access the internet, but have finally gone main stream with Fedora 13. I was prompted to make the change over when I found that Bibble Pro 5 was very unstable in Windows 2000, whilst that OS was not supported by Bibble it was claimed to be usable, however theory and practice diverged as is so often the case :rolleyes:.
    Now happily getting to grips with full on Linux, not certain about trying Wine in order to run Photoshop 7 as I'm doing most post processing in Bibble with a little using GIMP, mainly for resizing (scaling in GIMP terminology) although I still use Windows 2000 for printing since it talks to printers better than Linux, but one day who knows?

Barrie

9. bogolisk

bogolisk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    bibble and rawtherapee are good choices. However, I just couldn't get the oly colours with them, that's why I'm still trying to get the OV2 (and OM2) running.

10. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    I've processed the same RAW file in both Bibble and RawTherapee, shot using a Voigtlander 15mm, f/4.5 and found that RawTherapee produced some strange artifacts in one corner, a sort of dark outlined chequer board pattern. That doesn't occur with longer focus lenses where RawTherapee does a good job.

Barrie

11. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    if you're still watching this therad mauve, could you walk through the steps you too k to get this running?
    i've installed latest Wine on my Puppy netbook ... then run the OV2 install program - which appears to run ok but none of the executables get copied to hd ... there may of course be a fundamental incompatibility (Puppy has an unusual architecture)

12. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I'm still watching but can't say much. When I run the installer, files get created in ".wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/OLYMPUS/OLYMPUS Viewer 2/" without any further input on my side. Did you checked that location ?

I don't know puppy but by hearsay, nonetheless certainly they have a forum somewhere ?

Hope you sort that out; keep me posted anyway, I'll try to give you a hand if need be.

Cheers,

Mauve

13. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    pdh
    I'm running puppy lucid 5.1.1 and a pet for wine is available through the puppy package manager under Utility as wine 1.1.43-Lucid. As a pet this should be fully set up to install on a puppy distro. I'm pretty certain that versions of wine where available as pets for other older puppies.
    The puppy forum can be accessed through the puppy news page at Puppy Linux Community - Home
    I hope this information is of use to you.

Barrie

14. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    thanks mauve, barrie ... yes the Puppy forum is very active indeed and I was quite involved over there for a few years.. I'm running 4.31 and have a frugal 5.x installed too, but I think i'll leave it now until i get home.
    this little netbook is too fiddly to spend too much time debugging ...i'd rather be outside seeing if I can bag some autumn rarities with the PEN!