Outta GAS...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Ray Sachs, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Not very many weeks ago, the m43 camera I've been more or less envisioning for about a year showed up at my doorstep. Last week, a VERY fast neutral focal length prime lens came. And today, a fast portrait prime showed up. And it very suddenly occurred to me - THERE'S NOTHING ELSE I WANT!!!! Nothing I can even think of that I MIGHT want!

Seriously, I got back into photography about a year and a half ago, in March/April 2010. I chose m43 basically on gut instinct as much as anything else - I knew I didn't want anything as big as a DSLR but definitely wanted a couple of steps up from a compact, even a really nice one like the LX3 or S90. I got an EPL1 and a kit lens. It didn't take long to get the two available pancakes (17, 20), the UWA 9-18, and just in time for an epic trip last July, the 14-150 superzoom. Soon swapped the EPL1 for the EP2 which had much better controls for my rotary wired brain. And I was pretty damn happy with this setup. But after trying a few other things - even other systems, I realized it would take some more development before I had the system I really wanted. First, having tried both Oly and Pany cameras, I knew I wanted a faster camera - faster AF, faster shot to shot time, less blackout, etc. Not pro sports-shooter burst-mode fast, but much faster than what was available. I wanted a flip up screen like the Nex had, which I found to be invaluable for a lot of the shooting I do. I wanted a fast wide angle prime and a fast portrait prime. A built in, but small, non-protruding, EVF would be nice but far from critical.

And today, after I'd taken a few play around first shots with the EPL3 and the 45mm f1.8, I realized I have EVERYTHING I was hoping for. EVERY SINGLE improvement! Is here. Has happened. In about a YEAR!!! How cool is that? I'll tell you how cool - VERY cool!

I honestly can't think of anything else I'd want. I have a super fast small camera with a flip up screen and more than good enough IQ, I have prime lenses ranging from 12-48mm, ranging in speeds from 1.4-2.0 (and a 14 that's 2.5 - not bad either). I have an ultra wide zoom, a very very loooooong zoom (100-300) for the occasional telephoto work. And one super-zoom that's a perfect travel lens. And I can fit ALL of it except the 100-300 in a very small Domke F-5XB and it comes in just over four pounds. And I'd almost never take ALL of it out, so my typical kit is generally closer to three pounds. Incredible!

So what else will I buy in the m43 world? Beats me. Someday one of the makers may come forth with the moral equivalent of a Nex 7 body and I'll probably buy that (flip screen, small built in EVF, revved up sensor), but its not like I'm yearning for it - the EPL3 has all but the evf and souped up sensor (and I'm not a pixel peeper so I'm quite happy with the EPL3 sensor). The rumored Pany GFX1 doesn't do it for me - no way I trade away the flip screen for an EVF. And if nobody comes up with that mythical body, I'll just occasionally upgrade to something along the lines of what I have today... Lenses? I honestly can't think of anything. Maybe if they came out with a super nice and fast 17mm, but probably not - I have the X100 for that and generally I'm just as happy if not more so going with the 14 instead (my head is wired WIDE). Fast zoom? No, no real interest in that. For my purposes, its all there.....I mean its all HERE, NOW!

Amazing. I'm too much of a gear-head not to buy SOMETHING every now and then. But from an m43 perspective, I honestly can't imagine what it would be??? What a day!

-Ray

• Like Like x 5
  2. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Congrats on your GAS recovery.

Given the MFT timeline, we're definitely a spoiled bunch.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I am happy for you. These kinds of things are rare to read about. I'm hoping to be in your boat next year (satisfied with my kit).

I love the line My head is wired wide....brilliant!:thumbup:

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Outta GAS

What a relief!

300mm F2?

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah baby ! :2thumbs:

7. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Nah, I'm not that much of a tele guy. I've used the 100-300 at night baseball games and come back with pretty good results and, even if I hadn't, I don't do enough of that kind of shooting to pay a premium for a fast tele. I'm sure there are others who'd love it, but I'd never pay what a lens like that would cost. I know there are those who yearn for a couple of really fast zooms too - I'm just not one of them...

I'm not saying the system is finished developing, just that everything I'd been thinking about / hoping for has actually happened.

-Ray

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Good stuff, Ray.

[tongue in cheek]

What, you don't feel slighted that Olympus didn't put a new sensor in it?

[/tongue in cheek]

From a body standpoint, if the E-PL3 was similar to the E-PL2 form factor with the tilt screen, I would have probably been set for a LONG time. As it is now, I'm enjoying the E-PL2. I'm sure over time I'll find some things to hate about it, LOL.

From a lens point of view, I need to bite the bullet and get a 20mm. I also want the Oly 45mm. For 90 percent of what I enjoy taking pictures of, though, the kit zoom works very well.

9. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    I remember my first economics lesson to this very day.
    And I think the fundamental rule of economics is so true.
    That fundamental rule is we all have "unlimited GAS", so maybe you're outta GAS today, but something else will crop up for "GAS buildup" to occur :smile:

10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Now you become a strobist.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    These are great days for we m4/3 shooters! Within the last couple of months we've finally reached a much hoped-for plateau in m4/3. I'm still waiting for a 45/1.8 and 25/1.4, but beyond that, I don't expect to be jonesing for additional lenses for quite a while. With a G3, an E-PL3, and a handful of the top m4/3 native lenses, my needs for travel, street and personal photography are well met indeed. Not that I wouldn't be interested in forthcoming bodies... but as for lenses... we've got a lot to be content with today.

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Just wait until that 100/2 gets released! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Oh I know... just as soon as one starts to feel gas free, more gas begins to develop and before you know it... somethings got to give! :rofl: Life's a gas! :wink: These are fun times in many ways.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    It's good to hear that one of us made it..

15. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    for now...

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    That sounds terrifying:eek:

17. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have to echo Ray's comments really, after a really good week at work where I've spent more time behind my EP2 than I have in the last month taking shots for work, I'm happy with my kit, the EP2, VF2 and Canon 50 FD combo is really really good and for once I'm totally happy with what I have.
    I have a list of things I'd like to get (12mm, 45mm, Flash) but unlike what I usually do I'm not going to rush out and buy I'm going to patiently save for them and enjoy my current kit and photography, something I think I've neglected recently in the push for new kit, also discovered that I really like shooting pics of people today, something I've never really done before!

P.S I may be patient but that doesn't mean I won't pickup some more cheap FD lenses while I'm waiting!

18. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've always been there with varying degrees of patience (generally only governed by what I could afford at the moment).

The difference this time is I CAN'T EVEN COME UP WITH A LIST!!! Seriously, other than occasional improvements in bodies (maybe - they might just move on from a good thing and make it less appealing to me), there's just nothing existing or even IMAGINED that I'd put on a list. This is new territory for me. I've always enjoyed what I had and made the most of shooting it - I've never felt deprived in the least. But there were always conceptual improvements I could see out there somewhere around the horizon. I can't even find those now!

Very very strange feeling. :cool:

-Ray

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

That must have been how Buddha felt when he became illuminated.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1