Outstanding Sling Bag

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
The MindShift Gear PhotoCross 10 is very similar to the outstanding Think Tank TurnStyle 10 sling bag. I needed a lightweight, comfortable bag for the smallish Micro Four-thirds Olympus/Panasonic system for use while hiking, riding bikes, motor cycles, horseback, etc. The TurnStyle 10 fills those needs well and is often used as a general bag. The bag only weighs 1 pound, is super comfortable - which are big pluses. Yet there are two things I would have liked in the design – a way to carry a water bottle and a way to carry a tripod, monopod, or light stand/umbrella.

The MindShift Gear PhotoCross 10 bag includes more water resistant materials and zippers and the means to carry a water bottle and strap on items one may wish to take with them. The front and bottom of the bag is a tough waterproof material so I have no concern about setting the bag down in water or mud. At 2 lbs. it is twice as heavy as the Turn Style 10 but is just as comfortable, if it not more so, to wear all day. These sling bags are the best and most useful sling bags of the dozen I have tried over the years.

Near the same size as the TurnStyle 10 I can pack more items in the bag. Currently in the bag I have: an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II camera, an Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 lens, 42.5mm f/1.2, 7-14mm f/4.0, 35-100mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.0-6.3 Panasonic lenses in the large compartment. All lenses have their lens hood reversed. The the Olympus FL50-R and FL-600R flash units, spare batteries and other small accessories in the front pocket and mesh pockets at the top of the main compartment – all which weigh in at 12 lbs. And there is still room for a 10” tablet. On the outside I have a 20oz. water bottle and a travel sized tripod attached.

Grab/carry Handles at the top and on a side of the bag are very welcome. Unique to this sling bag is a load-lifter strap on the shoulder strap and another on the waist belt. These allow you to fine tune how the bag rest against your body and they make significant difference in comfort.

Mindshift PhotoCross 10 Camera Bag-20171119_142256.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mindshift PhotoCross 10 Camera Bag-20171119_142321.jpg

Mindshift PhotoCross 10

ThinkTank Photo TurnStyle 10

Attachments

• Mindshift PhotoCross 10 Camera Bag-20171119_142256.jpg
    Mindshift PhotoCross 10 Camera Bag-20171119_142256.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Mindshift PhotoCross 10 Camera Bag-20171119_142321.jpg
    Mindshift PhotoCross 10 Camera Bag-20171119_142321.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 149

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I'll second @Clint's positive recommendation.

I had bought a Turnstyle 10, but ended up returning it because of the water bottle/tripod issue.
I just picked up a Photocross 10 on the forum to replace it and am very happy with the purchase. It holds my E-M1 + 12-40Pro mounted and the 50-200SWD with the MMF-3 with a couple of smaller primes + EC-14 and looks to have the room to hold more if needed. I really like how it carries and the ease of accessing gear. Easily the most comfortable camera sling bag I have used.

darcius1

Mu-43 Regular
Also a fan of the photocross 10. Very ergonomic and well-balanced. Well-designed. Large capacity with sensible organization. It its low key in appearance. Safely and securely transport and access gear while on the move.

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@HRC206,
Is your waist front or back? My needs are rather simple so I’m thinking of modding a small bag for use my belt.
Thanks

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
Just a follow up about this bag. I used it for 10 days walking and hiking around Southern California beaches and towns from LA down to LaJolla. It was loaded out as in my OP. Quite often I'd start my day at 0530 and back at the hotel around 1830. I really didn't think a sling bag could feel comfortable after three of four hours. But out all day and only removing the sling bag for some breaks - this bag was very pleasant. Sometimes it was just a small annoyance to get lenses out or put another back in because of how much gear was in the bag.

I have only one suggestion - if you want to carry an Olympus 50-200mm or Panasonic Leica 100-400mm lenses with as much gear as I had packed in - one might consider the MindShift Gear PhotoCross 13. (edited)

Last edited:

JoJo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Just a follow up about this bag. I used it for 10 days walking and hiking around Southern California beaches and towns from LA down to LaJolla. It was loaded out as in my OP. Quite often I'd start my day at 0530 and back at the hotel around 1830. I really didn't think a sling bag could feel comfortable after three of four hours. But out all day and only removing the sling bag for some breaks - this bag was very pleasant. Sometimes it was just a small annoyance to get lenses out or put another back in because of how much gear was in the bag.

I have only one suggestion - if you want to carry an Olympus 50-200mm or Panasonic Leica 100-400mm lenses with as much gear as I had packed in - one might consider the MindShift Gear PhotoCross 20.
Hi Clint,
I just read this post. A search for the MindShift Gear PhotoCross 20 turned up no matches But the "13" did. Maybe they just offer a different lineup now. Both models look good. Now I have to decide 10 or 13! If only I can find an Old Fart to walk the trails with.

AgentMichaelScarn

Mu-43 Regular
Late to the party but I also picked up a Photocross 10!

I wanted a sling that opened up the entire side of the bag - not just a cutout for a single body. The Incase DSLR sling has a similar design, but the materials look cheap. As for the Think Tank Turnstyle 10, I don't like how the zipper is not a flap that folds back; seems like it would be harder to access gear. Other slings are just too big which would become too heavy to be supported by one shoulder.

Will post a loadout pic when my G85 arrives.

D

Deleted member 20897

I can confirm all the great points that Clint and the others have mentioned. So far the Photocross 10 is the best sling bag I've ever used.

For mirrorless cameras this is hard to beat. Easy access to everything. Super else strap and waist belt. It improves on all the failings of the turnstile series.

Real Name
Walter
Oh man, you guys are just killing me. :)

I've been using an F-Stop Brooklyn Sling for a while now to carry a 50-200 SWD, EM1, EM1.2, 12-60 SWD or 12-40 Pro mounted, and other lenses, flash, filters, etc. It's been quite useful and versatile. One thing it doesn't have is a water bottle pocket. My friend loves his Photocross 13 and it can hold all I want and more. I've been trying to avoid GASsing out on this, but I feel myself weakening. Dang.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Oh man, you guys are just killing me. :)

I've been using an F-Stop Brooklyn Sling for a while now to carry a 50-200 SWD, EM1, EM1.2, 12-60 SWD or 12-40 Pro mounted, and other lenses, flash, filters, etc. It's been quite useful and versatile. One thing it doesn't have is a water bottle pocket. My friend loves his Photocross 13 and it can hold all I want and more. I've been trying to avoid GASsing out on this, but I feel myself weakening. Dang.
Got to make you spend money
20180314_093625.jpg

That's an E-M1 with 12-40 attached, 17/1.8, 50-200SWD and a tabletop tripod.

Btw, it is almost impossible to carry the 50-200 and the 12-60 mounted on the E-M1. You can carry them both unmounted with a body cap on the camera.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
Got to make you spend money
View attachment 623956
That's an E-M1 with 12-40 attached, 17/1.8, 50-200SWD and a tabletop tripod.

Btw, it is almost impossible to carry the 50-200 and the 12-60 mounted on the E-M1. You can carry them both unmounted with a body cap on the camera.

I can carry the 50-200 SWD w/MMF-3 and tripod foot, EM1.2 w/12-60 SWD mounted, and EM1 body or small lenses and misc. in the Brooklyn. From what I've seen, I think I can get the 50-200 SWD in the left compartment (at the bottom when worn), the EM1.2 and 12-60 in the middle, and some stuff into the right compartment of the Photocross. I'm pretty confident it'll work on the Photocross 13, but I was skeptical about the 10. As you say, the EM1.2 w/12-60 may not fit in the middle of the 10. I'll have to try it next time with my friend's 13. The Photocross is somewhat trapezoidal in shape with the deep compartment at the bottom. The Brooklyn is rectangular, so the compartments are equal depth. I should take a photo.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I can carry the 50-200 SWD w/MMF-3 and tripod foot, EM1.2 w/12-60 SWD mounted, and EM1 body or small lenses and misc. in the Brooklyn. From what I've seen, I think I can get the 50-200 SWD in the left compartment (at the bottom when worn), the EM1.2 and 12-60 in the middle, and some stuff into the right compartment of the Photocross. I'm pretty confident it'll work on the Photocross 13, but I was skeptical about the 10. As you say, the EM1.2 w/12-60 may not fit in the middle of the 10. I'll have to try it next time with my friend's 13. The Photocross is somewhat trapezoidal in shape with the deep compartment at the bottom. The Brooklyn is rectangular, so the compartments are equal depth. I should take a photo.
I had looked at the Brooklyn after you bought it and posted about it in the bags thread. I think that the rectangular profile gives it more flexibility as compared to the tapered shape of the Photocross. But the Photocross probably has better ergonomics. They are different enough that I see the Brooklyn as an urban bag, but the Photocross as more of a hiking one (see how subtly I am encouraging your GAS, you can own both!).

Btw, I found it harder to get the 50-200 out of the sling if it was in at the bottom of the sling. It may be possible to fit the 12-60 mounted with it there though.

waday

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wade
I have to stop reading this thread. My wife is going to get annoyed when I say I want another camera bag. :shakehead: I'm liking both the Photocross and Brooklyn slings!

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I have to stop reading this thread. My wife is going to get annoyed when I say I want another camera bag. :shakehead: I'm liking both the Photocross and Brooklyn slings!
They will both make excellent diaper bags. In fact, for many years I carried my camera in a diaper bag. Unobtrusive and well padded.

waday

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wade
They will both make excellent diaper bags. In fact, for many years I carried my camera in a diaper bag. Unobtrusive and well padded.
Sameer, thank you for proving your genius day in, day out! These would be perfect for a combo diaper/camera bag! Now I really have to do some planning. Already mentioned them to the wife who seemed ok with it. :)

Real Name
Walter
I had looked at the Brooklyn after you bought it and posted about it in the bags thread. I think that the rectangular profile gives it more flexibility as compared to the tapered shape of the Photocross. But the Photocross probably has better ergonomics. They are different enough that I see the Brooklyn as an urban bag, but the Photocross as more of a hiking one (see how subtly I am encouraging your GAS, you can own both!).

Btw, I found it harder to get the 50-200 out of the sling if it was in at the bottom of the sling. It may be possible to fit the 12-60 mounted with it there though.

You're definitely not helping with the GAS problem. :) Yeah, the Brooklyn is more suited to the "urban" environment or short photowalks where water or tripod aren't needed. There's no place to carry a tripod on the Brooklyn, but I've slung a small one from the strap or my belt with a carabiner. Not the most convenient since it tends to bang into your legs or hip. On the trail or on a bike, the Photocross would definitely be better.

Maybe the 50-200 is difficult to fit in any pocket with the tripod foot attached. Maybe better to slip it off and put it back when needed.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Sameer, thank you for proving your genius day in, day out! These would be perfect for a combo diaper/camera bag! Now I really have to do some planning. Already mentioned them to the wife who seemed ok with it. :)
You are welcome. Glad I was able to help.

You're definitely not helping with the GAS problem. :)
:biggrin:

Maybe the 50-200 is difficult to fit in any pocket with the tripod foot attached. Maybe better to slip it off and put it back when needed.
Actually, it works fine where I have it in my pic above. You can see the tripod foot on the upper left. It tends to catch on the lip of the zipper if it sitting at the bottom.

Just don't mix up the pockets where the dirty diapers and the camera gear go! :)
Those scented diaper disposal bags were a life saver. Glad to be past that!

waday

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wade
Just don't mix up the pockets where the dirty diapers and the camera gear go! :)
LOL! Yes, need to be very careful and pick up some disposal bags!

Those scented diaper disposal bags were a life saver. Glad to be past that!
Any preference on brand/scent? If they're anything like dog poop bags, some may be better than others?

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
LOL! Yes, need to be very careful and pick up some disposal bags!

Any preference on brand/scent? If they're anything like dog poop bags, some may be better than others?
My youngest is over 7, so this may be completely outdated information. We settled on the powder fresh variety of the babies'r'us store brand which used to be sold in packs of 500 or so. Iirc, Target's store brand was decent as well.

Love the interesting directions threads can take :) Though, I guess we see still discussing bags.

Latest threads

Top Bottom