1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Out with my new to me G2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Mar 22, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I took my new to me G2 out for a spin and came back wondering what I was thinking ever selling my old one in the first place. Man I love this camera. Probably the thing I like best about it is how simple it is to carry about (and I'm sure the same applies to the G1, GH1 and GH2). Hang it off your hand with three fingers on the grip and a Gordy strap keeping it on your wrist. The on/off is thumb flick away as is the control dial. It comes up to the eye and the EVF flashes on and you're in business. Even the homely grippy/rubbery finish helps. About the only complaint is having to wipe the back of the LCD off where your nose hits it. FWIW I like the built-in EVF over the VF2 (which I have on my E-P3). I find the VF2 feels a bit cramped by comparison and while I like the flip up feature, the swiveling LCD is (for me) much more useful. It really is a joy to use. None of my other m43 cameras even come close when it comes to pure enjoyment. It also takes pretty good pictures too. I like myE-P1 and newly acquired E-P3 quite a bit as well but this is definitely my favorite (warts and all).

In all fairness I have only had the E-P3 a few hours so I may find I love the E-P3 as well but as of this moment I have a hard time believing that it will be THAT much better an experience. Here are a few...it may have an aging out-of-date sensor but I like what it gives me. These were shot as JPEGs but I did some cropping in Lightroom and adjusted the exposure of the cherry blossoms.

With the Panasonic 20/1.7
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6861376876/" title="steel embrace by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 6861376876_54103b0508_b. "684" height="1024" alt="steel embrace"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7007493461/" title="Harbinger of Summer by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7007493461_0c1d5cbb54_b. "684" height="1024" alt="Harbinger of Summer"></a>

With a Hexanon 24/2.8
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6861377268/" title="Tentative Spring by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 6861377268_1973cf7465_b. "1024" height="684" alt="Tentative Spring"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  2. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Much has been written about the superiority of the Olympus JPEGs and while they are indeed very very nice I have never thought that the Panasonic ones were all that bad. I decided to set the G2 "film" to DYNAMIC and set it to underexpose by 2/3 (everything else is as it would come stock) to see how it stacks up against the Olympus JPEGs.

So far I am not finding them all that different.

3. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Where does that 2/3-under place the light levels on your histogram? (Or do you use the histogram to set exposure?)

I find that shooting to the right (using histogram) is easier on my Olympus cameras (E-PL2 and E-PM1) than it was on the G2.

Also... do you shoot the G2 with NR off?

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't use the histogram when I shoot (I suppose I should) so it may very well be easier on the Olympus. I do set the NR to off. I do NR (if needed) in Lightroom. Part of it may be that I am simply not as discerning about IQ as some folks. To my eye the images from my G2, E-PM1, E-P1, E-PL1 and E-PL2 all look so similar that I couldn't tell one form another without looking at the EXIF info in Lightroom. Where I do see differences is in AWB where the E-PM1 and my newly acquired E-P3 are much better and metering (also better on Olympus). Where the G2 shines however is in usability. I find it more intuitive and comfortable to use. That means I am more likely to grab it than one of the PEN bodies. Everything is a compromise somewhere and in my case the G2 presents the best set of compromises of the cameras I have used.

• Like Like x 1