Out Of The Shadows....

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by goldenlight, Feb 2, 2010.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi,

I've been lurking a bit just lately and eventually got round to registering a few days ago. Thought it was now time to step out of the shadows and say "hello." Don't know how active I'll be - I already spend too much time on other Olympus/Four Thirds sites - but having recently purchased a G1 to compliment my E-3 I thought it appropriate to at least be a member and look in from time to time.

First impressions of the G1 - great quality in a small package, not truely pocketable but far more portable than the E-3 and hence more likely to be taken on casual outings when photography isn't the main priority. Haven't got used to the menus yet and much prefer the Olympus E-System in this respect but I'm sure I'll become more comfortable with it given time.

Here's a few pics taken on my first "serious" outing to a local forest with the G1 last November:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it's great that MFT has now got a dedicated forum; the format is very much in it's infancy but I think it has established a whole new direction that camera design will take in future years and the potential is enormous. In ten years time we'll all be laughing at the days when we had a mirror slapping around in our cameras! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 8
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

goldenlight, thanks for de-cloaking, coming out of the shadows and welcome to :43:.

I know there are quite a few other "lurkers" and some who have uploaded to the the "old albums" and even to the new galleries who don't post but I hope more will follow your lead.

That first shot puts me in mind of a children's fairy tale - and yes, of one of the Harry Potter book's characters - "The Thumping Tree" x 2.:biggrin: I could wax poetic about the other photographs as well...but hope you'll post them to an album or two in the new gallery system that we just began today.

And, I have to add that as a dog lover, I am really taken by that last shot.

Hope you can stick around.

P.S. I see you have added yours to the galleries.:biggrin:

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome goldenlight, and thanks for sharing your first images - the G1 is a good shape for using the 4/3rds adapter and ZD lenses... have you tried any? I find it works great with the ZD 11-22 or ZD 14-54... although, I have to say the Lumix 14-45 is a teriffic kit lens for the G1.

Hopefully we're already establishing an identity here - as a super friendly, photography focused forum. I hope you'll come back frequently. Check out our new Galleries... they're free to upload for members.

Cheers

Brian

4. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John

Thanks for the warm welcome BBW. Glad you liked the pics. I hadn't associated the old hornbeam with the Harry Potter tree but now you mention it I can see what you mean! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  5. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Brian,

I haven't tried any other lenses on my G1, at the moment it's a camera that I want to keep simple, lightweight and portable and the kit 14-45mm is a belter which covers 90% of my needs as a walk-about. When I need a more comprehensive range of focal lengths I still favour my E-3 with 9-18mm, 14-54mm and 70-300mm, but often I just don't want to carry all this and that's where the G1 comes in. :wink:

I'm impressed with the new gallery that you've added to the site and must say that the unlimited space and file size is very generous. :drinks:

P.S. Great range of smilies, too! :bravo-009: Can't wait to use the "flogging a dead horse" or "flying pig"..............

• Like Like x 4
  6. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Welcome John

Enjoyed browsing through your images, as a fellow Essex chap I am familiar with many of the places in your gallery. I haven't delved into Landscape images to much but hope to in future, your work is excellent.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    The third is intriguing, but I like the 5th

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Welcome Goldenlight!

9. goldenlight