out of focus subjects

hoaqbui

New to Mu-43
I just got my voigtlander 50mm/1.1f for my e-p2 and I've been having a hard time focusing my subject properly.

I don't know if it is because of my shaky hands or the fact that I can't quite tell what is in focus from the LCD.

Will the VF2 help me manually focus easier?

Hoa

shoturtle

Yes the VF2 helps out greatly with MF.

Have you tried zooming in on the lcd to get the critical focus. It may help out.

J. Allen

Mu-43 Regular
Yes. I use the VF2 with my 35 Summicron and the zoom screen with the box on the EP2 and it's the only way I can effectively focus at wider apertures.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
might be worth checking you have the image stabilisation set for 50mm lens.

even with IS you should be shooting at 1/100 of a second at least

though without an example then whether its focus or shake will be difficult to pinpoint.

K

J. Allen

Mu-43 Regular
That's an excellent point Kevin. I played around with the lens settings and it certainly does make a difference in the effectiveness of the image stabilization to have it set correctly.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I just got my voigtlander 50mm/1.1f for my e-p2 and I've been having a hard time focusing my subject properly.

I don't know if it is because of my shaky hands or the fact that I can't quite tell what is in focus from the LCD.

Will the VF2 help me manually focus easier?

Hoa
The VF-2 helps immeasurably. First, the resolution is much higher than the LCD, and it is easy to magnify. Second, by having the camera against your face, you eliminate a lot of potential camera shake.

That said, depth-of-field at f/1.1 is quite shallow. Test focusing at smaller apertures (f/2.0 or f/2.8). You'll have an easier time. Also, bear in mind the that Voigtlander is not especially sharp below f/2.0 so if you're viewing at 100%, even in focus images may not quite seem 'crisp'

Fast lenses are fun though! Enjoy!

Cheers,

DH

bpalme

Mu-43 Rookie
I forgot my VF2 making a video the other day. I was so mad I forgot it because in daylight... for me<--- it's nearly impossible to tell if I'm in focus for certain objects.
Not quite as bad for still photos but for video transitions from in focus to out of focus shots you gotta have the VF.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom