Out of control G.A.S.

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by silver92b, Aug 31, 2015.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Pretty, but I would be worried to walk around with this kit, which definitely wouldn't improve MY photography.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    G.A.S. nothin', I think you may have robbed an armored truck or something! :eek-31:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    In that you are probably right. Going to a Leica digital RF system set me back in image acquisition skills back to my old MF SLRand even the TLR... LOL. OTOH, in many occasions I get lots more keepers than with the EM-1 after I got some practice using the M240 properly.

Not really, it was several armored trucks over a period of time :wink:. Actually, after I bought the body (big gulp), I began to sell accumulated gear of M43 and other formats. Then I watched Ebay and other sources and just pulled the trigger when the right opportunity came by. That's how I obtain the lenses and stuff.
    I actually think that's not much more expensive than any other high end top of the line camera and the lenses made for them. Granted, it's not for everybody but it's not out of range for anyone who really wants one. :biggrin:

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm still struggling to understand the appeal of Leica. I've seen excellent images made with Leica cameras, but I've seen some pretty mediocre ones too! In fact, I think the same can be said for just about any camera ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Leica is from the age of hand finished moving parts and costly attention to detail. Add in the desire to make the most perfect lenses that they could develop based on their extensive optical experience and facilities that most competitors coudn't build. CNC machining, precision measuring equipment and heavy reliance on electronics have reduced much of that allure.
    If you're old enough to have used manual focus cameras and occasionally used a hand-held light meter, you probably like, or at least respect the Leica brand.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I feel so much better about that $500 I should't have spent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol... yes.. you do.

For the most part, I was lucky to make the majority of my purchases back when things were not so expensive, before kids, and when I had a bit more disposable income.

5822752414_033ebeee39_b.

The picture was taken back in 2011. I recently traded my M8 for a Monochrom and sold some (see signature) that I felt didn't have enough usage to justify keeping them around. I'm pretty much done.. no more for me... what's left in my signature is all that I will need from this system. Btw.. those stands were a parting gift from a shop that closed its doors..

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  9. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    It's just a matter of individual predilection. For many people another camera would be their choice. Leica is not "the best" for taking any photograph. For many people other cameras would be vastly preferable and probably much better for their use. Some of us just want the Leica because it's very appealing in many levels. For an analogy, we can talk about cars. For instance, I would love to have a Morgan 3 wheeler starting at $52+K it's a totally impractical vehicle. An anachronism that does nothing as well as many sports cars, even some old used roadster at 1/10th the price. It is certainly an insane choice for transportation and even for playing around as it's an open car with absolutely no protection from weather or anything else. Yet, in some people's mind it's a glorious machine and an object of desire... (like I said, I want one :wink:).
    Anyway, there is no point in trying to understand the appeal of the Leica. Either you like it and want one, or you don't. I like very strong coffee without sugar or cream and I detest carbonated, sugary soft drinks. Others love those Cokes and stuff and drink weak coffee with cream and sugar. I gave up long ago trying to figure out why :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, I'd say that you did have a bit of disposable income :biggrin:. That's a fine collection of Leica glass and bodies! BTW, I am extremely tempted to get the MM. I would have already gotten an M9 Monochrom and sold my M240, but I so want the M246.... Oh well, back to stashing bits of cash here and there :wink:.

11. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Department of redundancy department...

P9010525.

12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup.... I did have a bit more disposable income. It was fun while it lasted... it helped that I didn't spend much money on anything else. Some of my friends like to bust my balls about spending so much on a camera... I simply point out the final cost of ownership on their BMWs w/ depreciation... (I drive a used Chevy).

No regrets on the M9 Monochrom. It is truly a unique machine that has become the first camera I reach for and joy to use. I had been saving up for it for around 2 years but I just couldn't get to the goal... no matter how much I tried. A few months ago, a shop was reducing its inventory and decided to stop carrying Leica products. I convinced the manager (I'm a good customer) to work with me on a fair price for the demo MM. I got it but it forced me to sell the M8 and one lens for the last bit. I was fine with that because the M9 and M9-monochrom are close cousins in both use, battery, and sensor size. Both are great companions.

13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Owning a Leica doesn't necessarily make anyone a better photographer. Same can be said for owning a Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini in that it doesn't make you a better driver. However, in the right hands they all can sing and even in the wrong hands, the build quality and attention to detail does make you want to take more pictures or to take a drive more often. There's no denying the quality of Leica, especially it's lenses. However, whether it's worth the money is up to each individual. Again, with the car analogy, there are plenty of people who think buying a Ferrari is a waste of money when a Toyota Camry can take you from point A to point B. But for the people who can afford, own and drive a Ferrari, there's no substitute. All things said, a camera is just a tool like anything else. A great photographer can take great pictures with any camera. However, that great photographer would also be able to take even better pictures with better gear whereas a terrible photographer will take terrible images regardless of gear.

Saying that there's nothing special about Leica and it's glass or that there's no appeal is like saying there's no difference between a $300 Olympus 45/1.8 versus a $1500 Panasonic (Leica) 42.5/1.2. The difference may not be night and day but there is a certain magic that's apparent in the 42.5/1.2. Yes, there's the law of diminishing returns but for those seeking the last bit of whatnot, it may be worth it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you have enough money, you have to spend it on something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I am in complete accord. Although a Leica body and lenses might seem like an extravagant display of wealth, it's all relative... I know countless people (with and without means) who drive $50K+ cars and trucks and think nothing of it. The same people are totally scandalized when I spend a fraction of that on a fine camera and peerless lenses. Even though the Leica lenses will likely increase in value while the value of a new car plummets the moment one becomes the owner.... The taxes alone in a new car will pay for a mint 50mm ASPH f1.4 Summilux.... Actually with a $50K car the dealer fees, sales tax and property tax would probably buy a perfectly good M240 "and" a fine lens or 2 ;) and if you count the depreciation when driven off the lot, you are talking an M246 and a f.95 Noctilux!

I drive used cars and don't spend money on such things as bar bills or weekly fine dining, etc. It's all in how one wishes to spend one's substance :wink:. I spend money on photography gear and enjoy the heck out of it :2thumbs:.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Nope, not me...I'm going to hoard it all and have it buried with me in my sarcophagus with my mummified dogs - waiting for me to enjoy while I pass on into the nether realm...taking my place with the Pharoah of old! :biggrin:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :daz:

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Thanks for the 'heads up' There is going to be a lot of people searching for your headstone ... with a shovel ... :dance2:

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'll talk to the head priest and see if he can work up a nice hex or curse like my main man Tutankhamun! :eek:

19. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, you "can" spend it on something, but you don't have to....... Ideally I would use up every last dollar to coincide with my demise. However, my spouse who is extremely likely to out live me by a long shot, will make sure I don't :D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've heard a lot of that goes on in Ohio. In Virginia we just pickle them in moonshine.

• Funny Funny x 1