Our throw-away society.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have a Garmin handheld GPS that I've used to put locations on photos, etc. I bought their optional Lifetime nuMaps which are updated 3-4 times a year, as well as the Topo maps that are installed in it. With the GPS and maps, maybe $800~$900 total.

The outer rubber case has deteriorated to the point the push button On-Off switch doesn't work well. It's really caved in now to make contact. Decided it needed some TLC so I went to the Garmin website. Didn't find anything about servicing their gear on it, just warranty info. I opened up a Chat and their support person said "They do not repair or service their gear." Guess it is a throw-away once it fails to turn on. Got the impression that warranty is a refurb item or maybe a new one as they don't fix things.

I wonder where the companies decide that the items are not worth fixing? Maybe $1,000? Hate to think of pricey items, like some $3,000+ camera or lens as disposable once broken (I think Panny did the disposible thing on their $1600 100-400mm lens, so maybe $1,000 is too low?), but maybe that is the new marketing strategy. I know Godox (China) doesn't repair their flash gear in the USA, but Adorama re-brands it as Flashpoint so they offer some repair (allegedly).

Oh well, guess I can somehow use the phone as a GPS in the meantime.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin handheld GPS that I've used to put locations on photos, etc. I bought their optional Lifetime nuMaps which are updated 3-4 times a year, as well as the Topo maps that are installed in it. With the GPS and maps, maybe $800~$900 total.

The outer rubber case has deteriorated to the point the push button On-Off switch doesn't work well. It's really caved in now to make contact. decided it needed some TLC so I went to the Garmin website. Didn't find anything about servicing their gear on it, just warranty info. I opened up a Chat and their support person said "They do not repair or service their gear." Guess it is a throw-away once it fails to turn on. Got the impression that warranty is a refurb item or maybe a new one as they don't fix things.

I wonder where the companies decide that the items are not worth fixing? Maybe $1,000? Hate to think of pricey items, like some $3,000+ camera or lens as disposable once broken (I think Panny did the disposible thing on their $1600 100-400mm lens, so maybe $1,000 is too low?), but maybe that is the new marketing strategy. I know Godox (China) doesn't repair their flash gear in the USA, but Adorama re-brands it as Flashpoint so they offer some repair (allegedly).

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 66st (one of their newest), and my iPhone is a much more reliable GPS device, easier to use and manipulate also. The iPhone is also much easier to transfer GPS data also.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 66st (one of their newest), and my iPhone is a much more reliable GPS device, easier to use and manipulate also. The iPhone is also much easier to transfer GPS data also.
I have tried using my iPhone but in Australia I am having problems finding a map program that has topo maps that show the tracks in the national parks that I visit. Easy for android but not iPhone that I have found so far.

Real Name
Richard
I dropped my Panasonic 100-400.
Landed on its end.
Panasonic wrote it off.
They didn't touch it, just said it was not repairable and sent back to me.
Thankfully insurance came good. Cost me $500 excess

I have tried using my iPhone but in Australia I am having problems finding a map program that has topo maps that show the tracks in the national parks that I visit. Easy for android but not iPhone that I have found so far.
I use Gaia GPS and MotionX GPS. I don't know if either will cover Australia.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
M
Maptoaster.
It is really good.

The outer rubber case has deteriorated to the point the push button On-Off switch doesn't work well. It's really caved in now to make contact. decided it needed some TLC so I went to the Garmin website. Didn't find anything about servicing their gear on it, just warranty info. I opened up a Chat and their support person said "They do not repair or service their gear." Guess it is a throw-away once it fails to turn on. Got the impression that warranty is a refurb item or maybe a new one as they don't fix things.

Sorry to hear about that, my only advice Tom-Tom is not a upgrade! If they're still in business.

Real Name
Angus

Curious as to whether there are any Android apps you can recommend. I pretty much just use Google Maps and wing it for specific tracks.

Real Name
Angus
I'm a technology evangelist, and tech moves pretty fast however:

I'm also an environmentalist, and I think it's pretty sad we're at a point where technology products have such a short lifespan that they just inevitably end up in land fill.

A couple of exceptions to this though:
- Apple do do a pretty good job at reusing their components, and committing to a renewable future.
- Camera technology moves slower than other tech industries (Sony excluded)
- Commodore and other retro computer clubs LOVE hoarding old hardware.

This is partially why I'm a fan of cloud services and the SaaS model. If we can centralize all the processor heavy work, reduce the consumer's processing requirements on their end and lengthen the lifecycle of consumer tech products, hopefully we can reduce consumer waste.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
My girlfriend uses the Guthook app on her iPhone and likes it a lot for hiking. Each trail has been walked and the app has notes on water sources, camping areas, etc...

I use OSMAND for Android for motorcycling and bicycling. Has topo and trails but not water sources.

Real Name
Angus
My girlfriend uses the Guthook app on her iPhone and likes it a lot for hiking. Each trail has been walked and the app has notes on water sources, camping areas, etc...

I'll check it out. RFL and I are both located in Australia though, that's why I'm particularly interested in his(?) recommendations for national park resources.

I have used Guru Maps on my iPhone for years (used to be called Galileo). Just another option for you to consider. (I have used it while hiking in different countries, and it always showed tracks in parks. Not in Australia though.)

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Phone and GPS is good, until it is not. always carry a good compas, printed map, and small survival kit if you are hiking out west.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom