Our Lenses - By the Numbers

NWright

Mu-43 Veteran
Okay - I'm a nerd with Excel.

From the Native Lens Sample Image Showcase threads I pulled:

1. Start Month/Year of Thread
2. Number of total thread replies
3. Number of total thread views

Here is a quick breakdown by day of some of the most well known lenses for m4/3 in our sample images threads.

I'll give you a hint - there aren't many surprises

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now I know there are TONS of confounding factors here (ie: All of the content specific threads, cost to own, first to market...etc..)

That said - one thing that did surprise me just a little was how slow the Oly 25mm f1.8 thread has been. (I'm sure there are plenty of members that already owned the P 25mm f1.4 by the time the O25 came out to play)

The Panasonic constant zooms are not doing well in this run - down either...

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
That said - one thing that did surprise me just a little was how slow the Oly 25mm f1.8 thread has been. (I'm sure there are plenty of members that already owned the P 25mm f1.4 by the time the O25 came out to play)

The Panasonic constant zooms are not doing well in this run - down either...
That assumes that the number of posts to this forum correlates with "goodness". I might offer the alternative hypothesis that the Panasonic constant aperture zooms are more owned by serious photographers who are busy using them, rather than posting their pictures to this forum. Also, the fact that they are older means that most folks who considered these lenses are no longer engaged in the buy decisions regarding them - and hence not posting about them.

NWright

Mu-43 Veteran
That assumes that the number of posts to this forum correlates with "goodness". I might offer the alternative hypothesis that the Panasonic constant aperture zooms are more owned by serious photographers who are busy using them, rather than posting their pictures to this forum. Also, the fact that they are older means that most folks who considered these lenses are no longer engaged in the buy decisions regarding them - and hence not posting about them.

Your above hypothesis seems totally plausible.

I think you assumed I was setting out to claim number of posts correlates with "goodness" - and the converse.

All I did was point out that the Panasonic zooms don't have as much activity as many of the other lenses on those specific threads...nothing more and nothing less... :smile:

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Your above hypothesis seems totally plausible.

I think you assumed I was setting out to claim number of posts correlates with "goodness" - and the converse.

All I did was point out that the Panasonic zooms don't have as much activity as many of the other lenses on those specific threads...nothing more and nothing less... :smile:
You specifically stated that the Panasonic constant aperture zooms were "not doing well in this run-down" Your use of the term "doing well" is what made me choose the term "goodness" in my comment. As in you said the Panasonic lenses were not doing well, as opposed to were not being discussed in this forum. I was simply pointing out that there were perfectly reasonable reasons why the lenses might not be being widely discussed, that had nothing to do with them "doing well".

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Dougjgreen, give it up, man. He clearly stated that all he did was look at those threads and even mentioned that that didn't mean anything.

To the OP, thanks for doing this! The big surprise to me is the O60. Seems that people like macro a whole lot more than I thought! :)

Dan43

Mu-43 Regular
Bye, bye :) !

Great work, NWright!

I find it quite interesting how well the numbers of posts/day and views/day correlate.

Real Name
Rob
Okay - I'm a nerd with Excel.

From the Native Lens Sample Image Showcase threads I pulled:
So did you read and record the raw data from the website and then type numbers into Excel for analysis...? OR did you actually extract this data ("scrape" it) using Excel to parse the web pages?
That would be properly nerdy!

Either way - it makes interesting reading - a bit like when I sometimes look at my own usage stats in Lightroom.

Rob

NWright

Mu-43 Veteran
I see I generated at least some discussion with this little exercise!

Thanks for the kind words folks! I appreciate all of the great info that flows from this site every day.

So did you read and record the raw data from the website and then type numbers into Excel for analysis...? OR did you actually extract this data ("scrape" it) using Excel to parse the web pages?
That would be properly nerdy!

Either way - it makes interesting reading - a bit like when I sometimes look at my own usage stats in Lightroom.

Rob
I did not use Excel for web scraping - and it is absolutely not rocket science. I don't think I'll be headed to the moon anytime soon but I may have something up my sleeve in the coming days/weeks :smile:

Below is a little bigger list with a few more lenses per some requests.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom