1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Our Lenses - By the Numbers

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by NWright, Sep 20, 2014.

1. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
    Okay - I'm a nerd with Excel.

From the Native Lens Sample Image Showcase threads I pulled:

1. Start Month/Year of Thread
    2. Number of total thread replies
    3. Number of total thread views

Here is a quick breakdown by day of some of the most well known lenses for m4/3 in our sample images threads.

I'll give you a hint - there aren't many surprises

Posts.

Now I know there are TONS of confounding factors here (ie: All of the content specific threads, cost to own, first to market...etc..)

That said - one thing that did surprise me just a little was how slow the Oly 25mm f1.8 thread has been. (I'm sure there are plenty of members that already owned the P 25mm f1.4 by the time the O25 came out to play)

The Panasonic constant zooms are not doing well in this run - down either...

• Like Like x 5
  2. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    interesting, now to do the top ten adapted lenses :)

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    That assumes that the number of posts to this forum correlates with "goodness". I might offer the alternative hypothesis that the Panasonic constant aperture zooms are more owned by serious photographers who are busy using them, rather than posting their pictures to this forum. Also, the fact that they are older means that most folks who considered these lenses are no longer engaged in the buy decisions regarding them - and hence not posting about them.

4. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan

Your above hypothesis seems totally plausible.

I think you assumed I was setting out to claim number of posts correlates with "goodness" - and the converse.

All I did was point out that the Panasonic zooms don't have as much activity as many of the other lenses on those specific threads...nothing more and nothing less... :smile:

5. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
    Maybe soon :)

I think I left out a few other meaningful native lenses as well...this was quick and dirty round 1

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    You specifically stated that the Panasonic constant aperture zooms were "not doing well in this run-down" Your use of the term "doing well" is what made me choose the term "goodness" in my comment. As in you said the Panasonic lenses were not doing well, as opposed to were not being discussed in this forum. I was simply pointing out that there were perfectly reasonable reasons why the lenses might not be being widely discussed, that had nothing to do with them "doing well".

7. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Poor 9-18..

8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Dougjgreen, give it up, man. He clearly stated that all he did was look at those threads and even mentioned that that didn't mean anything.

To the OP, thanks for doing this! The big surprise to me is the O60. Seems that people like macro a whole lot more than I thought! :)

9. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    :biggrin: Just maybe they are bigger showoffs and post more images :biggrin:

10. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    No love for the Voigtlander lenses?

thanks for the info, interesting.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, if you agree that this thread is meaningless, my work is done here.

12. Dan43

Dan43 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2014
    Bye, bye :) !

Great work, NWright!

I find it quite interesting how well the numbers of posts/day and views/day correlate.

13. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    So did you read and record the raw data from the website and then type numbers into Excel for analysis...? OR did you actually extract this data ("scrape" it) using Excel to parse the web pages?
    That would be properly nerdy!

Either way - it makes interesting reading - a bit like when I sometimes look at my own usage stats in Lightroom.

Rob

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    We have a nice selection of lenses, don't we? I'd be curious about the slower zooms like the 40/45-150 ones. Not that I'm suggesting you work this out. :wink:

15. Dan43

Dan43 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2014
    It's not rocket science :)

As far as I understand it, you simply compute the number of days the respective image sample thread has been active, and then divide the total number of posts and views of that thread by the number of days.

You can compute the number of days at wolframalpha.com:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=23.12.2010+to+today

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The biggest error is probably just using the "Sample Showcase" Threads. I bet a lot of O60 2.8 shots get posted in the bug and flower threads.:flowers_2:

17. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
    I see I generated at least some discussion with this little exercise!

Thanks for the kind words folks! I appreciate all of the great info that flows from this site every day.

I did not use Excel for web scraping - and it is absolutely not rocket science. I don't think I'll be headed to the moon anytime soon but I may have something up my sleeve in the coming days/weeks :smile:

Below is a little bigger list with a few more lenses per some requests.

MorePosts.

• Like Like x 2