1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Our Ficifolia Festival

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DownUnderDog, Feb 23, 2012.

1. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Hi Folks,
    I live in a country town called Drouin (pronounced drew-in). We are in south eastern Australia 95kms east of Melbourne. We are enjoying a beautiful summer, warm but with cool nights and good rainfall. During early February every year we celebrate our "Ficifolia Festival". The festival recognizes the Ficifolia tree thats lines the main roads into our town.

P1060566.
    The Ficifolia tree is a variety of the eucalyptus tree which is a native of Australia. The ficifolia version actually flowers where some other versions don't. They go straight to a seed pod. The ficifolia flowers are usually bright red or maroon, however new varieties are being bred with different colors. This photos shows the red colored flower.

P1060569.
    After the flowers drop the tree produces seed pods as in the next photo,

P1060568.
    These are seed pods produced from last years flowers. In our childhood we used to collect these seed pods (referred to as gum nuts) and add a stem to them and use them as pipes, (No tobacco of course!).

Early this month we celebrated a week long Ficifolia Festival. Highlight of the week was the street parade. The following photos were taken with my G1 and 45-200mm lens. Please enjoy.

Leading the parade this year were members of the local Fire Brigade. This was in recognition of the brigade's 75th anniversary.

The theme for the parade this year was "Year of the Dragon" because the Chinese community was also celebrating their new year, which was themed "Dragon" also.

One local school entered a float with a dragon theme, but to me is distinctly looked more like a cow. Thus said we live in one of the best cow raising areas west of Texas.

Children played a big part in the parade, this school gets a picture because that is where my grand children attend.

Hows this for catching action, not bad for an old photographer.

Crowds lined the main street, and took advantage of every vantage point.

Drouin Primary School added great color with their "Dragon"

Because of our farming heritage, antique tractors were on parade, as well as antique cars and motor bikes.

Parade watching is a hungry past-time. I think the local food shops had a great days trade.

If you wished to "clown around" that was OK too.

An old photographer told me once: "Sometimes the best photo is the one behind you" And in this case he was correct.

[​IMG]
    After the parade it was of to Civic Park for the fair, market and entertainment.

No fair is complete without rides for the children.

Now it's over and we await the blooming of the Ficifolia tree and another festival in February 2013.
    Cheers
    DUD

• Like Like x 7
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

A colourful and joyous selection there DUD.

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Thanks for sharing this !
    CU,
    Rafael

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Dud, thanks so much for all of these - it's clear that you have a very community minded town, which is not something too many have theses days! And I'm still chuckling about those gum nut pipes.:biggrin:

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't know how I missed this thread John! I love all the happy pictures and It looks like you had a nice day out. Your gum nuts made me smile, because I often pick these up and blow over the top of them to make them sing.

You are good! Top picture. We can never underestimate a photographer no matter how old they are.:smile:

You should be proud because you had BBW comment on your thread! wow

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    very nice, thanks for sharing. and nice place too, would love to visit Drouin someday! :biggrin:

7. Great shooting! Lots of colour and energy

8. juliedanurse

juliedanurse Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Kansas
    Thanks for sharing this! Love the photo of the flower. A visit to Australia is on my bucket list.