1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Other forums

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by luiztakei, Jul 23, 2013.

1. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Luiz
    I like this forum a lot mainly because of the great group of people that got together here but IMO it has one shortcoming: it is restricted to Micro 4/3 users.

So I was wondering if there are gear-independent forums out there with such a great community.

2. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    though this forum has its focus on micro 4/3, it is full of people who also use or have used other platforms.

if you drill down below the increasing number of stupid "what lens/camera" threads there is a depth of knowledge and humour that applies to photography in general

K

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I find this forum has a very relaxed attitude to other formats so I don't see it as a problem. However I'm also a member of the grandly named 'World Photography Forum' & 'Camera Enthusiast' which are both format free - though now rather low volume forums.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    On the other side of the coin, I would be looking for a Mu43 forum that dealt only with Olympus cameras, and in fact there are such things, but they don't compare with the attitude, activity and volume (membership) that this one has.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    a lot of the nice folks from here (and very few of the combative ones) also hang out at Serious Compacts ........ SeriousCompacts.com

All are welcome, but DSLRs are rarely talked about....the focus of the website is "small" cameras.

7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If you're a Nikon user, try:
    Nikonians : The Nikon user community
    Lots of traffic without the dumb threads Kevin mentioned. Members over there seem to be a step up in knowledge and skills when compared to other forums. They also have a section for other cameras as well. What's really good about that forum, there are threads for nearly every Nikon body as well as other Nikon equipment. Be sure to check out the photo threads, there are many outstanding photo's on various topics.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Dpreview....not a necessarily a good place to make friends, but you can get very good information there. Any question you have about gear has probably been answered there already. You gotta have good sh*t sifting skill ( try saying that 3 times) for that forum though.

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    There are a sister forum to Mu43, Serious Compacts - might qualify as such, or a more general scope to photography and gears.

10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I can't go there anymore - my "serious" compact is on eBay! :biggrin::eek:

11. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I go to Fujixspot (another sister forum), but I dont have any Fuji. :biggrin: Same at Serious Compacts.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Don't know if this has already been said but have you seen the 4 icons on the top right of this webpage? :smile:

13. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Luiz
    Thank you for all the replies. As usual, you guys have been very nice and friendly! :)

I am really looking for something gear-independent. The main reason is what Kevin pointed out: there is an increasing number of threads about "What lens/camera...". To the point where I have to make an extra effort every time I come here to separate what is really a photography thread vs. a gear thread.

Not that gear threads shouldn't be here, they are very useful to people on the market after a camera or a lens. But I just think they should be kept to a minimal and somewhat hidden, especially on the home page.

Anyway, I will take a look at the SeriousCompacts website, as many of you suggested. And the 'World Photography Forum'.

Thanks again!

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    At the top of the page is a tab for "Active Discussions" and under it you can select the "Latest Image Threads" which will give you image only threads. You won't have to sort through gear discussions. It's really quite easy. :smile: