1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OSX users - panorama stitching?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by oldskoolboarder, Aug 9, 2010.

1. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    I have some panoramas that I took and now I want to stitch them back together. However, I'm exclusively OSX.

I've tried to install ib on both Virtualbox and Parallels w/ no luck. Virtualbox box fails because of a some type of video driver and Parallels 4.x just hangs when I try to run it.

Any suggestions?

2. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Photoshop elements has an excellent plugin to do it all for you.

I've also had good results with doubletake.

3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Ok the best program I have tried is PT Gui Pro. It gives you various options for how you want the stitch to come out and also allows you to alter placement of the component images if you require. You are not just tied to a row of images as well so you can make some mega sized images too.

4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Microsoft ICE ! Good luck !

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Without a doubt the best Panorama I have used is an application called DoubleTake

6. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Why not use just photoshop? Are there any reason for an exclusive program?

If so I would like to hear them since I make quite a lot of 20+ images "panoramas" :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Cheers for that Im downloading the trial now. It is always handy to find new tools.:2thumbs:

8. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    The "Photomerge" option works really well. It can calculate a panorama from handheld images. And all the tricky bits can be easily fixed with the other tools :)

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just find it easier to use than firing up Photoshop and worth the $25. But if you have Photoshop then no you don't NEED it.

10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I am not sure about CS5 but I found that multiple stitches was one of the weaker areas of Photoshop. The dedicated programs give you a lot more control over the file as well. I found that PS crashed with over 40 or 50 images, I have done one with PTgui that was made of 92 images (10mp) though it took hours to render :biggrin: There is another Auto pano pro (I think) that will search files for images that match. It can come up with some funky choices too :rofl: but I found PT gui to be the best so far I have to test Double Take properly.

11. Kkrome

Kkrome Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2010
    Hugin

Try Hugin. It is a bit quirky, but when I get things right, it does a great job.
    It is also open source.

12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Here is an example of a joiner done in Pt Gui if it helps. As you can see the machine hit the wall and did not blend perfectly. But I liked the way it looked with all of its imperfections. I don't aim for perfect lines or any form of perfection.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Hmm. I have to give it a try, though photoshop fits my needs currently.