1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OSX Lion

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Iconindustries, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Has anyone got OSX Lion yet and what cool tricks and tips have you found? Share them here.

2. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I'm considering the upgrade but I hope to read the info more closely on the apple site. Looking forward to hearing some user experiences with it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm downloading it now! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconindustries

It's available as a 3.5GB download at the app store for $31.00
    The only unfortunate thing for me is i'm already over my internet quota so I'll just have to wait for the disc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Hmmm..... is that how big the file is? :eek: No wonder my hi-speed connection seems slow. Thank goodness my service is unlimited!

6. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    you do realize there is no disc option, you will be waiting for eternity.....

I sell this stuff for a living, the Electronic option is the only option...

I have been using it for several months, and really enjoy it, the new gestures and other new quirks I quite enjoy...

7. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    In August a thumb drive version will be available.

It's a nice upgrade.

A recommended read:

Installing Lion: Our complete guide | Operating Systems | MacUser | Macworld

• Like Like x 2
  8. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Just finished my backup - clean install - restore from backup on my macbook pro.
    It's 3 am here, the iMac will wait after some hours of sleep :)

It's pretty nice (I had already tried the beta version) but trackpad gestures are different and I'm always doing the wrong gesture.

Fullview in Safari and iphoto is AMAZING!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    pharaviel,

Re the scrolling - have a read at this - might help:

Daring Fireball Linked List: Scrollvetica

10. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I'm not an early adopter...

Hi Folks,

One thing you might do is go and watch the last Apple Keynote where the introduce lion. It's a nice overview.

there are also some issues reported with the Daylite application from Marketcircle. This being the most popular productivity app for the Mac and business, it's an issue.

Also there's this from NIK:

Will my Nik Software products work if I install Mac OS X version 10.7 Lion?

We have been working with developer release versions and have identified an issue when installing some of our plugins into Photoshop CS5 after you've updated to Lion. If you have already installed your Nik Software plug–ins into Photoshop CS5 prior to updating to Lion, the plug–ins will continue to work without issue. The current installers for Dfine 2.0, Viveza 2, Color Efex Pro 3.0, Silver Efex Pro 2, and Sharpener Pro 3.0 are not able to install into Photoshop CS5 on a Mac running OS 10.7 Lion. This issue will affect both new and re–installations of these plug–ins. There are no issues installing our plug-ins into Lightroom or Aperture on a Mac running OS 10.7 Lion. There are also no issues installing HDR Efex Pro into any host application.

Our engineers have already begun working on a fix for the installers and we intend to start releasing these free updates this month. Each update will be released in succession, starting with Silver Efex Pro 2 and we will notify registered owners via email.

11. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Lion Upgrade

Hi Icon,
    how is sunny Queensland? It's bloody cold down here in Victoria. I was holding off upgrading my Imac to a new OS when I heard that Lion was on the way. Now I'm not sure I can load Lion (Mac OS 10.7) over the top of my OS (Mac OS 10.4.11) Do you or any other Mac users know whether this is possible, or do I need to load Leopard or Snow Leopard first?
    Cheers
    DUD

12. Jordan

Jordan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Houston, TX
    DownUnderDog the requirements say you need to have 10.6.6 installed to upgrade for the price of $29 US. Don't know if there is another way around that or a higher price option so you wouldn't need to buy the other OS Xs.

But I just got done backing up my Hard Drive and formatting it to do a fresh install of the OS. It has been a while since I have formatted my Drive, so I decided this would be a good time. My MacBook is 2.0 Core2Duo w/ 3GB Ram. So it took a little while. Hopefully getting a 15" MBP in January.
    Now I'm waiting for Migrate Assistant to migrate the Time Capsule drive back to my MacBook, only 1hr and 45min left to go...

13. Iconindustries

Good afternoon DUD. Windy and cold here too but if you can get out of the wind the sun is beautiful. I'm recovering from a bad back I gave myself on tuesday when I lifted a big gear of the bench and for some reason my body twisted but my feet stayed still. Then i got really, really cold- couldn't get warm kinda thing. That night was agony in my back and legs. The next morning mum took me to the Chiropractor and as soon as I laid on his bed he said well we're off to a bad start! One leg was 10mm longer than the other one. My pelvis was twisted and that had then pinched a nerve that goes down to my legs. No wonder i was in agony! And the reason because I was cold was because the gadget in my body called the 3 heaters or something wasn't working and therefore it wasn't telling my body to burn more calories to keep me warm.

As soon as the chiro adjusted me the pain went from my legs and a few hours later the pain in my back went away. Thankgoodness for Chiropractors:smile:

He told me to take a few days off so that's what I'm doing.

About your question. By what I've heard there are ways to get around installing it from Leopard but Apple effectively says you can only install it from Snow Leopard. I think the reason for this is because as I've just found out they don't sell Lion on an Install disc you have to download it from the app store which is integrated in Snow Leopard. The app store is an icon that sits in the dock and is linked to the apple servers so you can download and install applications just like you do on an iphone, but in this case it's on your computer.

So it sounds like you might havto download Snow Leopard first:frown: The Question is- will snow leopard install straight over the top of 10.4 (Tiger)

Just had another thought! What processor do you have in your computer, because you need to have a pentium to run Snow Leopard.

14. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
  15. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I had to upgrade to Snow Leopard and then to Lion.

16. Jordan

Jordan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Yeah and the file is only 3.74GB, I copied mine to a Flash Drive before I clicked continue to install it. So they don't even need to use a big flash drive for it, but it will probably be silver and come in cool packaging. I guess that all costs $40..

17. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Hi again Icon,
    hey don't go lifting any heavy weights before you trip OS. My Imac doesn't have Pentium, it's only an Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 2.16 ghz speed.
    What now?
    Cheers
    DUD

18. Jordan

Jordan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Your machine can run it. My MacBook only has a 2.0 Core 2 Duo Intel chip and it is using Lion now. I still don't have an answer about getting to 10.7(Lion) from your 10.4.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger...

The reality is, there is no need for any other version than the download - although if you want you can make your own boot disk.

20. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire