1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Orion HDR

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by georgian82, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    This is a cropped area of the image I posted a couple of week ago but this time I turned it into an HDR image.

This is composed of 44 light frames at 3 minutes and 23 light frames at 45 seconds (all taken with Sigma lens 60mm f/2.8 at f/2.8 and ISO 800 and Orion light pollution filter). Images were processed with PixInsight.

I am still working on decreasing the size of the stars to show more nebulosity, but it is getting there.

Cheers! Orion_HDR_5_cropped.

• Like Like x 39
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. myhl

myhl Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2015
    Stunning

3. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Thanks! Work in progress but getting there little by little.

Cheers

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Nicely done.

5. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Thank you!

6. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Well done,
    Lots of great objects in this wide field. Bravo

The center of M42 is not washed out and this is not easy to achieve....
    I am modifying a E-PL5 for that purpose, looking forward testing it!

Very good work

7. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    I must admit I really hate images like this being posted on here.....

As it really makes me feel like binning my camera gear and taking up knitting, as I know I will never reach the skill level required to produce such a beautiful image.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Tifoso

Tifoso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    Germany
    Giuseppe
    very interesting :thumbup:

9. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Very Impressive. Thanks for sharing this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gidget

Gidget Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    Love it! Keep posting them and the info please.

• Like Like x 1
  11. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Ian
    Nice work.

If you use photoshop then you need this action set, it features an action to make stars smaller as well as many other useful ones, I've used them myself and found them invaluable.

Astro actions

• Like Like x 1
  12. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Please tell us how you did this?

13. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Sure, take a look at this picture which is the original picture I took of M42. This image is composed of 44 light frames of 3 minutes long at f/2.8. As you can see, the core of the nebula is completely saturated to the point where it is just white. This happened because the exposure was too long and also the focal ratio was too fast (necessary for astrophotography, but not ideal for certain targets such as M42). So the only way to deal with this is to take another set of pictures (of the same target) but at a shorter exposure (45 seconds instead of 3 minutes in my case) and then using post processing you can replace the core of the longer exposure picture with the one from the shorter exposure.

I hope this makes sense...This is my first time doing an HDR image so all of this is sort of new to me.

Cheers!
    Sebastian Orion original test.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Hey,

Have you subtracted master BIAS and DARK from your subs?
    Feels like your image would benefit from it!!! Not that I don't like it!!! I do!!!

15. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    How do you keep the camera aimed? Is it on a telescope mount?

16. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi there,
    Yes, I did subtract BIAS and Darks (with bias subracted) from my light frames in the original picture only (3 minute exposure). However, I only subtracted darks from the 45 second exposures and not BIAS. In retrospect, I should have done it to the shorter set of exposures as well.

I do agree that there is a lot of noise in this image and I have a feeling that part of the reason is because I did not take enough subs. I only took 44 subs and the ambient temperature was about 60 so I really need to add another set of 20 subs in order to reduce the noise even further. The other reason is because I stretched the data a lot in order to bring out the nebulosity as much as possible. Every time I stretched it, the more noise came out...

Anyways, thank you for the suggestions. Like I said, I do need more data for sure.

Cheers

17. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    My lovely wife just bought me an Ioptron Skytracker for my birthday, so that's what I am currently using to guide the camera. Using a 60mm lens, it can guide for up to 4 minutes without star trails, however, because of its periodic error, only 50% of the subs are usable (with perfectly round stars).

I do like the Skytracker a lot because it is really easy to set up, and when you have kids it is important to get set up in 15 minutes and forget it and then come back two or three hours later and take it all inside the house.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Thanks!

Are you modifying your camera yourself or are you having some one else do it for you? I can give you the contact of the person who did mine...

You will enjoy using the epl5 for astrophotography since it has a tilting screen and that may come in handy.

Cheers

19. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion. I use Pixinsight which also has a tool to decrease the size of the stars but I am still learning how to use it properly since there are a lot of settings that can be changed depending on the image you are working on and the desired outcome.

I will keep going at it! :)

Thanks again
    Cheers

20. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it!
    I do my own modifications. You can have a look at my web site, just for fun... :2thumbs:
    Astro Modifications Astro | Par Renaud Venne Landry

I also use Pixinsight exclusively for post-processing for astrophotography, it is a fantastique software.
    As a rule of thumb I always use 200 BIAS frame to create my master BIAS, it makes a big difference and at least 30 to 40 if not 60 darks and flats.

Cheers