1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Original omd m5 flash causes dark pics

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by alonso, Jun 26, 2013.

1. alonso

alonso New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2013
    Hi guys. I was taking pictures today in a low light. I installed the flash my omd came with to take pics. After playing them back, I noticed that they were darker than without the flash. Am I doing something wrong or I this normal. Hope to here from you guys. Thanks.

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Need more info...

What mode is the flash and camera?

Do you have a photo you can post with EXIF data?

3. alonso

alonso New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2013
    Sorry for the late response. I haven't had a chance to transfer the pics to my computer. This happened in auto, and p mode with the flash in auto. I just tried manual flash a minute ago and a get a nice pic in p mode. iAuto mode still give me a darker image though. Is that normal?. I will try an attach the exif data. Thanks.

4. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I taped a business card to the bottom of my EM5's mini flash to bounce the flash off the ceiling and got more well rounded scenes.

I'm still looking for more ideas on how to get better exposures with this clip on flash. so far so good.

5. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Experiments with Flash and Exposure Comp

I performed some experiments with the FL-LN2 flash and various exposure compensations to see where the advantages are with using this flash. Here's a pic of my set up.

photo_1_.JPG

All shots were taken in Aperture Priority with the 17/1.8.

Essentially, I found that I can really keep the ISO noise down with simply bouncing this flash. Adding flash compensation of 1-3EV really balances out the background. I recall reading people generally settling on this method with Olympus flash systems, and now I know what they mean.

Flash off:
    P9211929.JPG

Flash on:
    P9211931.JPG

Flash Comp +1.0
    P9211928.JPG

Flash Comp +3.0
    P9211930.JPG

Attached Files: