1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Original E-M5 focus questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by emorgan451, Jul 27, 2015.

1. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I've had my E-M5 for almost 2 years now and generally I don't have any problems nailing the AF for people or kids that I'm doing portraits for. However the past two weekends I've done family portraits for two separate groups with my 12-40 and found that about 1/3 to 1/2 of the shots where there are 3+ people ended up what seemed to be back-focused (the trees and leaves just behind the group was beautifully sharp). I usually keep the face detection AF with near eye priority on and it has worked well for me in the past. So is 3+ people just too much or confusing for the face detection priority? It worked over 50% of the time so it's not a complete failure. Also I was shooting around f4 between 25 and 35mm to try and ensure that I had plenty of dof to keep a sharp face. What's the best focus method for this type of shot?

Another question that's burned me since I got my camera is how in the world do you get the camera to realize that there are eyes in the face? I've always had the near eye focus priority selected, but I've never seen the little eye confirmation box inside the white face AF box that people say should be there if it's working. That's after shooting probably 5-10k frames with a human face in the picture with that mode on.

Thanks,
    Eli

2. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

Just realized that the questions in the post don't immediately stick out, so I'll summarize them below:
    -When doing group shots is 3 or more people too many to rely on face detect AF?
    -If so what is the best focus method for this type of shot?
    -With face detect how do you make the near eye priority confirmation appear when it's in that mode and has detected a face?

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As you mention, for group shots it may be best not to rely on Face Detect AF. For this type of shot I would generally use a slightly smaller aperture (for more depth of focus) and just set focus on a person near the middle of the group. I tend to use a back button focus configuration for this sort of shot as well. If you're not already using all your MySets, it might be helpful to use one for just this sort of configuration.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Quite a few people seem to really like the face and eye priority. However I don't seem to have that same experience.