Orientation Sensor on EPM1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by webmonkey8, Apr 9, 2012.

1. webmonkey8

webmonkey8 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2012
    Is there no orientation sensor on the EPM1? It's weird how such a convenient feature was left out. After copying the images from the camera to the PC and viewing them, I found out that a few image viewing software wouldn't auto rotate portraits, but would remain as landscape orientation.

Does anyone know if a future firmware update could possibly fix this? Or is this technically impossible? :confused:

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Requires a physical sensor which I don't think they've included.

3. webmonkey8

webmonkey8 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2012
    Oh...well that's too bad. I really wish they would have included it. Even my old point and shoot camera had it. :(
    Thanks for the info!

4. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    There is no orientation sensor in either the E-PM1 or E-PL3. Olympus has kept that feature for the E-P3 only it seems. I personally find this a bit strange since they all have IBIS, and the old rationale for why Panny cameras (at least the GF1) didn't have an orientation sensor in body was that it required stabilization (which for Panny comes in the lens, if at all).

In theory, you'd think they could judge based on the IBIS and add this via firmware, but it likely requires a really cheap hardware sensor that isn't included.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree that an orientation sensor has always seemed to me like an odd feature to omit. Unfortunately, Olympus has chosen not to include this feature on the "Lite" series PENs (E-PL1, 2 and 3) and also on the "Mini" offering (E-PM1).

Since many (if not most) modern point-and-shoots offer this feature, I have to surmise that Olympus' decision was based more around product differentiation with the "big boy" PENs (E-P1, 2 and 3) than on any packaging (size) or price-point (cost) concerns.

Each time I import shots from my E-PL1 I have to spend a couple of minutes rotating photos, and each time I do it I pine a little bit for the E-P3...so maybe Oly's ploy is working.

6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I hate that this is missing as well...such a waste of time having to orient everything manually.

7. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I'll gladly give up the IBIS of the EPM1 for an orientation sensor.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If I remember, Canon did this as well, with their XSi having one, and the XS didn't.

I mean, it seems like a clear annoyance to push you to an upgrade. I can't imagine the cost is that much to include one.

9. cz9h3d

cz9h3d Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    SE Michigan
    Kevin
    The silly thing is that my last couple of point and shoots have had this, and we're talking about rather inexpensive cameras.

10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I wouldn't go that far...I love to shoot handheld and can really see the benefit of IBIS in some of my shots. I haven't fully developed my photographer's zen yet.

However, your reply got me thinking: what feature(s) would I sacrifice in exchange for an orientation sensor? From the E-PL1 I think I'd sacrifice the "Supersonic Wave Filter" dust suppression and all the various "scene modes", which I never use.

P.S. Looking forward to another "Pimp Yo PEN" in the near future. Please.​

11. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I, too, wish an orientation sensor existed on the E-PM1.

But I've found that manually orienting my images is really quick, even if I'd rather not do it. At least you can rotate in batches. I've had cameras where you need to OK every single change, too.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You've had a camera without the SWF?? I've had some older Canon DSLRs, and I would NOT sacrifice SWF for... well, anything really!

13. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    After I found the images to get soft when using IBIS I tend to keep it off but I do love the supersonic wave filter. After having many Canon cameras I can tell you that the supersonic wave filter works great. One thing I don't enjoy doing is cleaning a sensor.

BTW Pimp Yo Pen 2 Electric Bugaloo is coming out this week.

Keep shooting and you'll find your Zen. Took me a few months to get used to the Pen Mini.

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    In LR (at least on a Mac), command [ or command ] rotates left/right, and can be done on a multi-select basis.

15. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    SWF?

I'm not familiar with that acronym/term. Can you define?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it: Supersonic Wave Filter

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, maybe I'm too hasty to abandon that feature. I do not have any experience with a camera that lacks it. However, I am very conscientious about changing lenses (which I do much less often since I got the 20mm f/1.7) and I figure that I'll end up changing bodies every 3 or so years as technology evolves.

I guess my calculation is that lack of an orientation sensor is something I miss EVERY time I import photos, while I don't really see what the sensor cleaner does. I guess having to clone out a bit of sensor dust in every shot would be more annoying than having to rotate some of them.

17. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    When I first moved from Olympus to Canon I got a taste of what life is like without the SWF and it sucked. Was about 30 minutes from a client arriving to shoot a cover and I noticed something that looked like pepper on the images. First thing I did was clean the lens front and back then after about 20 minutes I realized that Olympus was the only company that had built in sensor cleaning tech (at the time) so I sent my assistant to the local camera shop to get some swabs and cleaner solution.

Let me tell ya, few things are as dicey as touching the sensor, but I got it clean and the shoot went smooth.

Even with the 5DMKII cleaning a sensor was still needed. I don't think any manufacture has the SWF tech that Olympus does.

If you don't think about a dirty sensor then the SWF is doing its job well. It only takes a second for garbage to get stuck on the sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You don't know what you don't got ;)

Here's all I can say -- I had two Canon DSLRs without sensor cleaning. Both needed to be cleaned within a year, and I think one needed it in a six month window. I had an EP1 for 3 years, and now an EPM1 for the last 6-8 months. I've not felt compelled to clean either sensor.

• Like Like x 2
  19. webmonkey8

webmonkey8 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2012
    It's unfortunate that the orientation sensor is missing. I'd gladly give up an art filter or two to get it also. Perhaps the next PEN Mini will include it, but I don't see myself shelling out my money any time soon just to have something Olympus should have included in the current "light" and "mini" PEN models in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Sweet!

• Like Like x 1