1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Organizing Pictures

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by StevenJay, Jul 28, 2012.

1. StevenJay

StevenJay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2012
    Manhattan
    I have Aperture 3 and I have Elements 10 with the Organizer for my Mac Pro laptop. Elements Organizer asks me to import all my photos, mostly from the shared IPhoto/Aperture library. If I say yes do I end up with two sets of all my photos....effectively doubling the use of space on my Hard Drive? Or is it just allowing Photoshop Organizer to share the library? I think it's the former, so I have avoided Elements at this time. I'm also worried that somehow exporting from IPhoto/aperture will somehow corrupt the already existing libraries. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Probably you will end up with a duplicate library.

The latest version of Aperture is compatible with the iPhoto library. I don't know whether you're using iPhoto or Aperture to import your photos but if you're processing in Aperture, it will let you use Elements as an external photo editor. What happens is that in Aperture you select a photo you want to edit in Elements, it exports a copy to Elements and when you finish processing in Elements the processed image is imported back into the Aperture library. You let Aperture handle all your file management tasks, do initial/most processing in Aperture, and use Elements for those things you can't do in Aperture.

The only downside to this in my view is that Aperture's RAW processing is not as good as Adobe's processing in Adobe Camera Raw/Lightroom and if you use Elements as an external editor as outlined above, that means that Aperture is doing your RAW processing. Of course that's not an issue if you shoot JPEGs.

I recently swapped from Aperture to Lightroom and exported all of my RAW files from Aperture's database which stored them in a managed library, to an external folder structure as a referenced library which I could use in Lightroom. Aperture exported the files without any problems and the RAW file data is no longer stored in the Aperture database but the Aperture database does include the data for processing the images I processed in Aperture so I haven't lost my processed images. It can do that because it stores the instructions for the processing you've done in Aperture separately to the RAW file data so you always have your original RAW file untouched and when I open one of those files in Aperture it just applies the edit data to the RAW image when it loads the image.

So, I think you can safely export the files if you choose to do that.

What I think you need to do is to work out what you want to use each of the 3 applications you mention, i.e. Aperture, iPhoto, and Elements, for and then work out how best to store the photos in order to use those applications in the way you want to use them.

3. saud

saud Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    I recently swapped from Aperture to Lightroom and exported all of my RAW files from Aperture's database which stored them in a managed library, to an external folder structure as a referenced library.