Organizing my hard case.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I didn't know Brother made a "White-on-Black" labeling tape for my p-Touch label maker when I went for a refill. Thought it might look good on the outside of my cheap Harbor Freight roller case to tell me where the lenses were hiding.

So I printed labels to stick on the outside as a map that tell me where the lenses go. Got two other smaller hard cases to hold the 12-40mm f/2.8 and 40-150mm f/2.8. Another holds the 300mm f/4 since I probably will not use that long lens on location.

Someone online posted about using toothpicks to stick into the "Pluck Foam" as outlining makers for the stuff that goes into them. Then dig it out with fingertips or a long bladed knife. Made it a really easy job.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's the one.

With one of their online coupons off their website, or one I cut from hobby magazines or the Tuesday's junk mailbox flyers, it brings the $99 price down to $79. :yahoo:

I plan to use it on location in the desert next month for a fashion gig. Least it won't be as prone to collecting dirt and blowing dust as with my fabric Lowepro roller bags, plus it is a lot more durable where I can stand or sit on it, and pile and stack stuff onto the top of it and not fear the things inside are getting crushed as with the soft bag rollers. The padding foam in it is a lot better than the Lowepro roller too as everything is fitted and cannot jostle around. Weatherproofing seems good too.

The pull-out plastic handle is sort of flimsy though, but if it breaks I can still carry it by the handles. Weight loaded is about 20 pounds which is a lot less than the Nikon Lowepro roller bag which is closer to 40 pounds with the Nikons and their lenses. I have broken stronger metal pullout handles before on luggage bags so have to wait and see how this performs.

I do wish both would had larger wheels though. The Lowepro I've had to lift and carry in soft dirt and grass or drag it. The Lowepro has an internal bag that comes out to make it into a backpack, but 30-40 pounds of stuff in its flimsy slip-out backback isn't fun dealing with - but is a nice marketing ploy as I bought the thing. :(

One of the Lowepro's storage compartments has the zoom lens pointing downwards which is a big camera store repair counter no-no as the weight of the camera sitting on top can stress the three rollers inside the zoom's helical causing them to jam or bind should they loosen in the barrel's slot over time jostling in the bag in that position. The screws holding the zoom helical barrel rollers are held by just a few threads. Been there having asked the question, "It seems tight turning it."

I need one for the E-M1X too, but it is sort of a larger block shape so it might not fit upright in the H.F. Apache cases. I may have to lie it flat with a cap on it and no lens, unless I go to a deeper Pelican plastic case. Dunno.

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
I recommend spray painting your foam with Plastidip or a similar product, concentrating on the edges and he inside of the recesses, otherwise they will wear and tatter very soon, as is already happening at the base of that fish eye lens. Many videos on that topic are to be found on Youtube.

I have one of these cases much smaller harboring my GX 80 with 5 lenses, filter holder and filters, batteries, and cleaning set. Very nice !

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I recommend spray painting your foam with Plastidip or a similar product, concentrating on the edges and he inside of the recesses, otherwise they will wear and tatter very soon, as is already happening at the base of that fish eye lens. Many videos on that topic are to be found on Youtube.

I have one of these cases much smaller harboring my GX 80 with 5 lenses, filter holder and filters, batteries, and cleaning set. Very nice !
Thanks for the PlastiDip idea. I bought another case for the E-M1X and sprayed that foam. Will do it to all four cases now.

I did find that their Large #4800 case only clears striking the upright E-M1X body with the RRS L-plate attached by 1/4 inch with all foam removed. So I had to install it lying flat with a cap on. Not ideal, but what'cha gonna do.

The cases come with one of those small silica gel moisture absorbers so I left them in one of the holes in each case. I left a packaged lens cleaning micro-fiber cloth under the cameras too since I got a lot of them that come with some gear orders.

Case-Large-Outside.jpg

Case-Large-Inside.jpg

Real Name
Mel
I have a Pelican case which has served me well over many years. I used it when I had the Nikonos 5 set up with a flash, silicone grease, close up lens and bracket, flash brackets, and Sekonic meter with cables. When my sinus caused me to stop diving, I used it for 35mm film cameras, especially Nikon F4 and F5 with a few lenses and flash. I took it all over Europe and the Caribbean and it still works great but it is just too heavy for me now. I use a LowePro Sling case to carry a couple of bodies, a 40-150 2.8. 14-40 2.8, Godox flash, cords, flashcards, and a 7-14mm Panny lens. My Pelican has all kinds of decals all over it from places I have been and is easily identified. Since I lived in Germany, I have several old D decals on it which always causes a conversation, generally in German. :) I have looked at the Harbor Freight ones and they are a bargain compared to the cost for the one with Pelican on the name tag.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I still have some soft cases. One I use for the Pen-F and its small Laowa 7.5mm lens. Another is used for filters.

These cheap H.F. ones I can lock-up on location with a small fingerprint reader padlock (e.g. https://www.homedepot.com/p/BenjiLock-by-Hampton-43-mm-Fingerprint-Padlock-White-BL40002WH/307271718 ) . And I can slam them around a bit too. Trying to re-load the car with gear like lightstands, studio flash units, and modifiers is something that I don't have to worry about with these hard cases being on the bottom of the pile of stuff.

I need to come up with some sort of filter case so I can flip through them to find the right one and size, along with any hoods and step-rings.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom