.ORF Thumbnail previews in Win8.1

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Effuse, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Effuse

Effuse Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2014
    BC, Canada
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong location for this kind of post but I'm having trouble getting windows to give me a Thumbnail preview of my E-M10 raw files, my old GX1 rows work just fine but my E-M10 ones don't, I just get a generic Thumbnail image. I see that the windows camera raw download has support for the E-M5 but I cannot install it on Windows 8, is there anything I can do to get previews working?

2. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Same problem here, and I don't have a solution. I shoot RAW+JPG, though, so the JPG icon shows what the associated RAW file has.

3. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    This has also bothered me. Thumbnails of photos from my old E-PL1 show up fine in Explorer in Windows 8.1, but not for my new E-M10. As far as I can see the last Microsoft Camera Codec Pack for 8.1 was in December 2013 and predates the EM10 (and some other current models).

I have downloaded the trial version of the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack (http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/) and it seems to work fine to display both the thumbnails and EXIF in Explorer - may be worth the $9.99, although I have a feeling that if I buy it the Microsoft will release an updated codec pack the next day!

4. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Oddly, I've had two instances of a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 in the last few months, both running Windows 8.1, and one could read the ORF files from my E-M1 and one could not. Window 8.1 comes with the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack, so it should have worked the same way on both devices, but it didn't. If you uninstall the Microsoft codec pack, and install the significantly older one from Olympus, you can force it to work, but then Windows Update will try to re-install the Microsoft Codec pack all the time. Since I work in Lightroom I didn't spend much more time looking into it.