1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

ORF + JPG in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ean10775, Dec 25, 2011.

1. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I just purchased Lightroom and am trying to get a handle on a few things. For one, I shoot RAW+JPG on my E-PL1 because in general I like the way the camera processes the JPGs, but I like to have the RAW file available in case that I don't. When the SD card is recognized by Lightroom it only shows one set of files upon import though once imported, while the file is the .ORF RAW file I see a sidecar file titled JPG in the metadata. Is there an easy way to switch from the .ORF file and view the .JPG file or, even better, compare the two? I can't seem to find a way to even see the JPG file at all. Any help would be most appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    On the General Preferences tab of LR there's a checkbox "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos". Check that box.

3. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    BTW -- This won't help files you've already imported it only affects files you import after ticking the box.

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I import both images. Very interesting to compare the Olympus RAW with the companion JPEG. Sometimes I just use the JPEG; most of the time, I'll use the RAW with the JPEG as kind of a reference point for color. This latter route seems to make the most sense, particularly if I progress the image into CS5 as 16-bit; save those pixels to the end!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.