ORF + JPG in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ean10775, Dec 25, 2011.

1. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I just purchased Lightroom and am trying to get a handle on a few things. For one, I shoot RAW+JPG on my E-PL1 because in general I like the way the camera processes the JPGs, but I like to have the RAW file available in case that I don't. When the SD card is recognized by Lightroom it only shows one set of files upon import though once imported, while the file is the .ORF RAW file I see a sidecar file titled JPG in the metadata. Is there an easy way to switch from the .ORF file and view the .JPG file or, even better, compare the two? I can't seem to find a way to even see the JPG file at all. Any help would be most appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    On the General Preferences tab of LR there's a checkbox "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos". Check that box.

3. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    BTW -- This won't help files you've already imported it only affects files you import after ticking the box.

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I import both images. Very interesting to compare the Olympus RAW with the companion JPEG. Sometimes I just use the JPEG; most of the time, I'll use the RAW with the JPEG as kind of a reference point for color. This latter route seems to make the most sense, particularly if I progress the image into CS5 as 16-bit; save those pixels to the end!