.ORF Files in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DustyGeorge, Aug 10, 2017.

1. DustyGeorge

DustyGeorge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    I have always imported Olympus photos to Lightroom via an SD card reader on my desktop. Lightroom has always automatically converted them (and Canon and Nikon photos) to .DNG photos. Yesterday I used an SD card reader to load some Olympus photos on my iPad. I then copied them to Lightroom Mobile. Lightroom Mobile then synced them to my desktop Lightroom -- as .ORF photos. Lightroom didn't offer to convert them to .DNG and I can find no way to convert them. I have been able to edit and do anything else I wanted with the .ORF photos. It will probably make no difference in the long run. I just don't like anomalies I can't control. Comments?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Lightroom never converts my ORF files to DNG. Why would that be a useful thing anyhow?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

It must be a setting in your non-mobile LR that converts them to dng... check on the top line as you import... does it say anything about dng there?

My .orfs on LR on my iMac always come in as .orfs and my .orfs on my ipad are also coming in a .orfs... just the way I want both to function.

Having said that I only move my .orfs to my photo storage drive (Main Shoebox) manually... I don't directly import them from SD card to LR. I import them into LR after transferring them from my SD card to my Main Shoebox folder. That was the way that was recommended by 90% of instructors I've taken courses or seminars with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I believe there is a setting (check box) in Preferences to convert to DNG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DustyGeorge

Jun 30, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't know that there is anything particularly useful about converting to .DNG. It's just that Lightroom has always made the conversion. I just double-checked my preference file and the import options and can find nothing about turning conversion on or off. Looks like if I want to continue off-loading to my iPad while away from home I will have to learn to live with mixed files.

6. DustyGeorge

Jun 30, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Okay!! Thanks!! I see it now - both how to convert after importing and how to turn off conversion. I think I will stick with .DNG since it has been working for me through my Nikon and Canon days and seems to be working okay in my Olympus incarnation. Thanks again.

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    In the Import dialog of Lightroom, at the top, there are several options - Copy as DNG, Copy, Move, Add.

I would think Lightroom Mobile would have the same options.

8. DustyGeorge

Jun 30, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    I am still trying to get up to speed on Lightroom Mobile. Tomorrow I will try importing some more photos through it and see if I am given an option anywhere. I have found the files I converted to .DNG on the desktop are now .DNG on the iPad.

9. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    When I import ORF files onto my iPad, there is a notation that they are RAW files. I can edit them and they show up on my desktop as ORF files (same size) as the original. I have the Air2, not iPad Pro - why do you have to convert them? When synced from desktop to iPad the same is true.

10. DustyGeorge

Jun 30, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't think there is any real need to convert them. It is just that after 50 yrs with the military I sometimes get hung up on uniformity.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I don't think there is a means to import and convert to DNG. The only things I saw regarding DNG is exporting to DNG and if using the camera part of the ap is you can save the taken photo as DNG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ctein

Ctein Mu-43 Regular

Dear George,

Mobile Lightroom does not yet (unfortunately) have exactly the same feature set as desktop Lightroom.

I'm another one who keeps everything as DNG files (there are pros and cons-- for me, the pros outweigh the cons).

Adobe has a **FREE** program called Adobe DNG Converter, which you can grab from their website. It'll convert camera RAW files (including ORF) to DNG format. Adds another step to your processing workflow, but at least this way you can stay consistent.

Not so incidentally, for folks who are running older versions of Adobe software and don't wish to sign up for CC, Adobe DNG Converter is kept as current as the most recent RAW converters in Lightroom, Bridge and ACR. That lets you use the RAW files from your shiny(er) new(er) cameras with older software which doesn't know how to deal with the native camera RAW file.

DNG's are compatible at least as far back as Lightroom 3, for example.

pax / Ctein

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1