1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

ORF files - I'm stumped

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kmpod, Jul 18, 2012.

1. kmpod

kmpod Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    Hi, any raw shooters out there - I'm embarrassed about not being able to figure this out but I'm confident that someone here will have a solution for me.

My husband and I are both new and very happy owners of OM-D's. They are just so much fun to use.

We've been photographing and post-processing for years ( him, Canon, me, Nikon, both G1's) without ever running into this issue.

We've just recently updated to CS6 so we can work on our ORF files in Camera Raw 7.1. Now, what I was expecting to happen was that the raw file would be in a 4:3 aspect ratio, like the sensor, with the aspect ratio used to take the shot exhibited in a frame superimposed on the raw image.

What actually is happening is that there is no frame appearing and, more puzzling, is that the angle of view of the raw file is much wider than that of the jpeg. In other words, even shooting in a 4:3 aspect ratio, the raw file would have to be cropped down (a lot} to duplicate the angle of view of the jpeg. That's the case whether shooting with our Panasonic lenses (14-45 and 45-200) or our Olympus lenses ( 12-50 and 45).

I'm prepared to lose some of the sensor real estate when shooting at aspect ratios other than 4:3 but I wasn't expecting to have to do that with 4:3. What am I missing here? Is there something I've unwittingly changed in my menu diving?

I'll be most grateful for any guidance. Kathy

I've attached an example: The left is the jpeg, as shot. The right is the raw file.

Attached Files:

2. bbrovold

bbrovold Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Perhaps you have the digital zoom turned on? This will happen as it appears on the screen as a zoomed image and in the .jpg but the raw file captures everything and gives the full view of the scene.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That sounds likely. The name of the option is 'Digital Teleconverter', and it basically means the camera will take a crop when producing the JPEG. RAW being RAW, you get the original view though.

Note that with current versions of ACR, if you change the aspect ratio, you will not get the full view - you will get the cropped one - even though the RAW file has the full data there too. Adobe seems to be picking and choosing which in-camera processing settings it respects.

DH

4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    You're getting raw data, so it's the full sensor capture. Panasonic matches the aspect ratio in bot JPEG and RAW. Olympus doesn't appear to.

5. kmpod

kmpod Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    Thank you. Thank you. Problem solved. The digital zoom was indeed on.

Obviously, I turned it on while exploring the OMD's labyrinthine menu, not understanding the implications of doing so.

It would have taken a very long time for me to discover the answer without the help of this community. You're all such a valuable resource.

Now we can go back to enjoying our OMD's without the recent frustrations.

Kathy

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Haha, it is a labyrinthine!

I forgot how to disable the VF image stabilization and have been to lazy to look it up.

Luckily, with SCP enabled, the only time I have to menu dive is for bracketing.